Fishing Severn Beach

Chris Haskins

Hi,

Wheres the best place to fish around the Severn Beach? Or is it better to go further afield, say Minehead?

I'm pretty new to sea fishing and have just fished at Slapton (South Devon) and would be greatful for any advise about fishing on the Bristol Channel.

Ideally I'd like to go somewhere *nice*, if you know what I mean, as I'll have my wife and daughter in tow :)

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Chris

Hello Chris.

Brean Down is a good place to fish. But if you`ve got the familly with you, Minehead is the best bet? You could always put them into Butlins for the day?

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

littlefeathers posted an identicle post a week ago ,have a search :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hi Chris,

Like Chesters1 said we also seeked out advice about where to fish the Bristol Channel. You said you'll have your wife and daughter with you so a lot depends on what sort of entertainment they want. Will they happily sit there for several hours or do they need something to do. Severn beach is a small town, not much entertainment, brean down has a sandy beach and a nice strenuous walk (excuse my spellings) minehead has entertainment, butlins and from what i can remember shops essential for every women :D . Clevedon pier is another site, which also runs a club. We have fishing friends that fish these areas so i'll ask around. My search was different thou as we wanted to know if anyone knew where we could sleep on the beach next to our rods.

If you want any more info feel free to email me.

Good luck

Littlefeathers

email: Mlyns@aol.com

Hi,

Thanks all for your posts.

I think Brean Down and Minehead sound good places to go. My wife is quite happy to watch the wave, but not for too long though. So shopping sounds a good activity for her. Also my daughter is only 11 weeks old so as long as you have food and nappies to hand she's happy too :)

Littlefeathers, if you could ask around for more info then that would be great, thanks. Either post back here your email me chris@ukgeek.co.uk

Thanks again for all your help.

Chris

Chris, Severn beach is probably one of the best Bristol Channel marks from now through to the End of November. Personnaly I fish from the sea wall just down from the New Bridge. Most codling are around the 2lb mark but much bigger fish ar caught I have personally had one at 15lb but gaffed one for a mate the year before at 17.12. The bigger fish fall to short casts (20yards!)and big lugworm baits.

The best tides are those just before a Spring (12 - 13 metres) when the water just gets over the top of the rocks - any bigger and the fishing is still good but you will lose fish because of the distance you have to stand back from the edge of the slope.

• 2 weeks later...

Andy_Davies:

The best tides are those just before a Spring (12 - 13 metres) when the water just gets over the top of the rocks - any bigger and the fishing is still good but you will lose fish because of the distance you have to stand back from the edge of the slope.

What a difference!

2 metres is a huge tide around Weymouth!

Jim Roper

http://www.searchlineuk.com/FishList.htm

http://www.march-info.org

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

the wife could be left at burnham on sea whilst the fishing partner can go to brean down ,caution though the beach although fairly flat ,where the tide touches the sand it becomes very sticky (a child was lost there last year) so caution is needed, lots of sand dunes between burnham and brean ,lots of shops and amusements etc for the family ,at brean sands the usual "watch the car sink" spectacle is a common occurence at the incoming of the tide ,the car park IS the beach and the tide comes in at walking speed :D we were there for 2 weeks last year it a great place ,channel veiw caravan park is the last one before brean down and far enough away from the amusements to not have the kids spend all your money :D

the sands at brean down are not suitable for kids as the tide comes in all the way (usually) to the sea wall so the sand is never dry enough to play in :( weston on the other side of the lump is very commercial ,the parking attrocius ,the trip fron brean to westen is 8 miles down winding roads ,in the two weeks in brean i went there twice its a hatefull place

[ 19. September 2002, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson