Keeping Lobworms and Dendras alive

Chubstar

I find myself with about 200 lobs and god knows how many dendras still wriggling around in tubs in my garage as I had to cancel my last outing...

Has anyone any simple but effective way of keeping these little darlings alive please, what do you feed them, do you have to add water to the medium they're in, should you remove them from their medium?

I may even try to breed from them if possible...

Many thanks

Neil

I find myself with about 200 lobs and god knows how many dendras still wriggling around in tubs in my garage as I had to cancel my last outing...

Has anyone any simple but effective way of keeping these little darlings alive please, what do you feed them, do you have to add water to the medium they're in, should you remove them from their medium?

I may even try to breed from them if possible...

Many thanks

Neil

i have kept worms alive for months in a large polystyrene box (used for transporting fish / frozen food for snakes)

i just fill it with potato peelings raw veg etc.

i put some worms in that i had bought from the shop and they looked better after a week in the box than when i bought them.

gatso.gif

i have kept worms alive for months in a large polystyrene box (used for transporting fish / frozen food for snakes)

i just fill it with potato peelings raw veg etc.

i put some worms in that i had bought from the shop and they looked better after a week in the box than when i bought them.

I do the same - check them weekly. Change the moss occaisionally and feed them mash potato a couple of times a month - I keep a bucket of worms on the go all winter in the garage...

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I've had dendras/lobs living in my fridge since September, and surviving well. I replaced the soil with damp sphagnum moss, and feed them regularly on left-over veg and potato peelings. They seem to thrive on it, particularly now I've educated my son into which shelves in the fridge are Mother's bait, and which shelves hold items for for eating.....

There is now no excuse for the time he came home and mistook my frozen maggots for long grain rice....

Janet

I've had dendras/lobs living in my fridge since September, and surviving well. I replaced the soil with damp sphagnum moss, and feed them regularly on left-over veg and potato peelings. They seem to thrive on it, particularly now I've educated my son into which shelves in the fridge are Mother's bait, and which shelves hold items for for eating.....

There is now no excuse for the time he came home and mistook my frozen maggots for long grain rice....

Janet

Brilliant, but where would I get sphagnum moss from? A garden centre maybe?

"There is now no excuse for the time he came home and mistook my frozen maggots for long grain rice" :D:D

I loved that story janet, told a bloke i was ou at sea with, he gave me the rest of his lunch :) & gave the fish the bit he'd already had :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I keep lobs in the fridge & just change the shredded newspaper every so often.

"There is now no excuse for the time he came home and mistook my frozen maggots for long grain rice" :D:D

I loved that story janet, told a bloke i was out at sea with, he gave me the rest of his lunch :) & gave the fish the bit he'd already had :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I keep lobs in the fridge & just change the shredded newspaper every so often.

But make sure it's just mashed potato - ie, not with added milk/butter/salt etc.

Of course - good excuse to boil the spuds 'sans salt'. Spoonful for the worms the rest for us!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog