Under 10m War

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it correct to assume that if more quota is given to the less than 10 meter boys, that there will be a lot more gill nets inshore and as a result this will mean anglers and fishermen completing for fewer and fewer fish than we have already.

naturaly bob i would say

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Guest challenge
Is it correct to assume that if more quota is given to the less than 10 meter boys, that there will be a lot more gill nets inshore and as a result this will mean anglers and fishermen completing for fewer and fewer fish than we have already.

In this part of the world there has been very little competition for years, because the under 10 mtr lads have not had sufficient quota to make it viable for them to make a living from the cod fishery for any reasonable length of time.

.....why have the big boys got all the quota leaving a few % for practicly all of the uk fleet as the majority are under ten. This appears to be the accepted norm.

Maybe our fisheries ministers are bent in more than one sense of the word?

Might stop more boats turning to bass to supplement their income so lead to less gill nets.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Might stop more boats turning to bass to supplement their income so lead to less gill nets.

Wurzel

Would you like to hazard a guess as to how much the under 10m quota would need to be in increased by to eliminate the need for gill nets altogether. Or at least substantially reduce the amount there is at present. I accept that nobody, least of all Defra, have any real idea how much is deployed at the moment.

Wurzel

Would you like to hazard a guess as to how much the under 10m quota would need to be in increased by to eliminate the need for gill nets altogether. Or at least substantially reduce the amount there is at present. I accept that nobody, least of all Defra, have any real idea how much is deployed at the moment.

Hello Ryford

You would never eliminate gill nets altogether especially in a small boat fleet.

One of the problems of management as it is at the moment is that it forces all fishermen into one niche leaving little room to manoeuvre

DEFRA should know with in a bit, with the buyer and sellers the local fishery officers are more in touch with who catches what, where and how than they ever have been.

I suspect that there are a lot less than anglers perceive, only to today a chap commented on the amount of net markers set along a certain stretch of coast line that he had sailed along during the summer( my boat is in the yard for a refit at the moment) I know for certain that all the markers he was talking about were indeed pot markers.

I fish to live and live to fish.

In this part of the world there has been very little competition for years, because the under 10 mtr lads have not had sufficient quota to make it viable for them to make a living from the cod fishery for any reasonable length of time.

So from what you are saying then Challenge that an increase in cod quota to the under 1om fishermen will mean a lot of competition in your area. Anglers seem to have good fishing for cod up that way, how do you see that in a couple of years if they under 10m get to fish all year round with more and more nets.

Guest challenge
So from what you are saying then Challenge that an increase in cod quota to the under 1om fishermen will mean a lot of competition in your area. Anglers seem to have good fishing for cod up that way, how do you see that in a couple of years if they under 10m get to fish all year round with more and more nets.

No I am not saying that an increase in cod quota would mean that more boats would go to this fishery. What I was saying was answering your question on the competition between different parties (e.g. RSA and commercial) in respect of competing for the said fish.

The majority of our ten metre vessels in this part of the world make a reasonable living out of a well managed crab and lobster fishery to have to go fishing for cod.

More of an opportunity to have limited access to this (cod) fishery would be appreciated and I believe would be beneficial to the lobster fishery.

Hi challenge so on the one hand you say that there has not been any real competition between the under 10m netsmen and anglers because there hasn't been enough quota to make a gilnet fishery viable. As your reply;

Then you say that if given enough quota, there would still be no competition because fishermen earn a better living off crabs and lobsters.

No I am not saying that an increase in cod quota would mean that more boats would go to this fishery. What I was saying was answering your question on the competition between different parties (e.g. RSA and commercial) in respect of competing for the said fish.

The majority of our ten metre vessels in this part of the world make a reasonable living out of a well managed crab and lobster fishery to have to go fishing for cod.

More of an opportunity to have limited access to this (cod) fishery would be appreciated and I believe would be beneficial to the lobster fishery.

Truly the anglers in the North East are blessed with great fortune. I do find it unusual that the fishermen up there would not use the extra quota on cod if offered it, or would they take it and sell it on to fishermen elsewhere?

Sorry for the questions, but I just can't get my head around the idea that fishermen wouldn't use the extra quota, and if they did, then this would not lead to extra nets being used leading to less fish available to anglers and mote conflict.