River Avon

briandion1947

Hello there

My freind's and I hope to fish the Avon before the end of the season and whould be gratefull for any information as where to fish. I love stick and waggler fishing. I have just perfected a way of fishing the waggler so when you hold back the float won't pull under, it will be of interest to anyone who loves waggler fishing.I live in Kettering Northants

There's some goodish grayling fishing on the upper Avon at Amesbury - part free, part DT from the cycle shop in the village.

C.

Edited by Chris Plumb

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Hello there

My freind's and I hope to fish the Avon before the end of the season and whould be gratefull for any information as where to fish. I love stick and waggler fishing. I have just perfected a way of fishing the waggler so when you hold back the float won't pull under, it will be of interest to anyone who loves waggler fishing.I live in Kettering Northants

C`mon the Brian spill the benas with your waggler set up!!

Hello there

The Hampshire Avon?

If so, Chris is right about Amesbury, though I've never fished there.

There isn't a great deal of day ticket access on the river but London Anglers have a famous stretch at Britford (just outside Salisbury). Big roach...

London Anglers Association (scroll to bottom)

At Ringwood you have the Lifelands Fishery,

Then outside Christchurch there is Winkton (hard but neglected fishery)

Then there is the famous Royalty in Christchurch.

Also, for a few weeks at the end of the season the Bisterne Estate has day ticket access. It's between Ringwood and Christchurch. Dates depend on weather and conditions etc. Best to ring a local tackle shop to see when it opens.

Please tell me more about your waggler set up. I've never felt comfortable fishing with one on rivers.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

There's some goodish grayling fishing on the upper Avon at Amesbury - part free, part DT from the cycle shop in the village.

C.

Leave your name and address and I will send you the complete set up including float

Please tell me more about your waggler set up. I've never felt comfortable fishing with one on rivers.

Thank you for the information

Leave your name and address and I will send you the complete set up for the waggler. Plus a waggler of my own design. You won't find a better design anywhere, I used to match fish all over the country and have won matches on the Thames /Seven /Welland/ Whitham/ Ouse/ Nene/ plus lakes using these floats

Once you have made your 15th post your account will move to an unrestricted one and the board PM feature will be available.

It is a much safer means of dealing directly with a member than posting personal information on a public forum.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I used to fish the Avon at Amesbury quite a lot when I lived at Larkhill. Stick float, Waggler and using a bomb all worked for a nice simple days fishing. There are trout there as well.

If you go down the A303 towards exeter and turn left at the roundabout signposted Amesbury (A345), just after you turn off you'll see a lay-by on your right hand side, park in there and then cross the road to a gate to a path called Lords walk. The path follows the river, the first leg from the road bridge to where the river emerges from the wooded area is free, once the river emerges from the woods it becomes a club controlled stretch to the next bridge under the A303. Salisbury Angling club run it but they do sell day tickets for the stretch from the cycle and tackle shop in town, I think they were about 3 quid.

I found the fishing equally good all down the stretch but the day ticket part has easier access to the bank. I used to catch well running a stick under the bridge on the A345.

I think with the Avon in so many Counties it would help if you stated the Warickshire, Hampshire or Bristol, or mabe you are going to fish them all. :huh:

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!