Okuma centrepins..

richjones

In princable line guards are a great idea (thank you john bickerdyke) but are poorley desgned / positioned by most manufactures.Making them next to useless .considerations like batting the drum and thumb contact area need thinking about .I've considered this for a while ,i do beleave that a good line guard can be put on most reels in a appropriate position so it doesn't get in the road when wallly casting or any type of casting .

i may put my idea's down ,in a article perhaps one day.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

"As far as I can tell, the main difference between the Aventa Pro and the Sheffield is looks. You won't be disappointed with either."

Except you pay a lot more for the Sheffield......The pro is an excellent reel, BUT it has 1 drawback. The retrieve speed is slow due to the small arbor.....if you're long trotting then a leeds pin, 5" or so really lets you retrieve quickly.

I wonder why okuma have produced 3 reels which are essentially the same, you'd think they would produce a larger model.

They are testing a 5" dragged model right now. No word on an ETA they are still field testing it.

Ditch

Ignorance is not a crime, let someone stay ignorant should be.

well thanks for all of the replies guys, in the end i found a good deal (£105) on the sheffield and went for it.

the quality of the reel is amazing and the bearings make it spin forver!

took it out for a first run today, rivers are flowing at 300 mph with full sized oak trees in them so i fished a small tributary stream which is usually too shallow to bother with. 1 grayling about half a pound, still it was my first fish on the new reel!

cant wait for the main rivers to drop though.

the main exitement during this terrible weather though is that i can now get anglers net on my mobile! :D

kept me occupied while i was stuck in my work lift for an hour on friday!!

When I was at Wingham, at the last fish-in, I got talking to a couple of people about the issue of line-guards.

Assuming that people are likely to be using the same rod for their 'pin work, the suggestion that a ring be attached to the rod immediately below the rod handle (which is what was done in years gone by, so I was told) will serve as a lineguard and probably perform better.

There is an elderly gentleman who fishes one of our club waters using any number of centrepins - not a fixed spool in sight. I've seen him use 2 different rods on the reservior, both of which have a ring whipped on immediately below the handle. I don't know him well enough to ask about his reasoning, but I will find out.

Alan, if you get the chance could you please take, and post, a couple of photo's of said rods? Provided it's OK with the owner of course :)

Making the most of it

Chi dorme non piglia pesci

• 3 months later...

I'm not a fan of CP reels but I've just looked in on the WMAC site and I thought I'd bring the claimed "exclusive" gold version of the Okuma Sheffield reel to the attention of anyone here who might be interested.

The reelis shown bottom left on their homepage.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

they was actually the first sheffields too be made ,primarly for the american / canadian markets (they like their bling bling over there ,ya knows ) then came the prologic bluey/gray ones then in america / canada they got black sheffields then came the black Kennet line guard and all ,over here

As Ditchrat says theres a new Reel in secret testing in america / canada .its a 5" reel with a open ported backplate & a 4 bar facia ,so here are some pictures of the secret reel under test !

test okuma front

sheffieldmk2f.jpg

test okuma back

sheffieldmk2b.jpg

owls22dx.gif

Chavender

Line guards or line guides , theres two types of cage on centrepins .ones that line passes through it (giving a limited range of movement) to prevent it flipping over the backplate in wind or whilst casting ,

869f_1.jpg

and the other is a physical barrier to the line traveling back-wards ( blocking its path with its leading edge) around the spool by acting as a guard rail & keeping the line from flipping behind the backplate .

AERIALMATCHwithlinegaurdf1.jpg

Placement is the be all and end all with line guards / guides .So just to complicate things a guide can become a guard simply relocating it to the back edge of the spool ! . If a cage is placed forward of the Meridian (imagined vertical central line) of the reel then its probably going to be used as a guide but if placed behind the Meridian some ware on the circumference of the reel then its going to be used as a guard .And if a basket cage ( ½ cage fitted to the bottom half of the back plate only aka Jw heritage) ¾ cage or full cage is fitted ,well they're both guards & guides ! ! .

theres a good many centrepins fitted with poorly placed guards / guides .That just get in the way rendering them useless.

line_guards.jpg

Line guards are the most common form of cage (single segment or ¼ cage) as invented by John Bickerdyke in the 19th century !

owls22dx.gif

Chavender