gulp baits

welshwizard1957

I have tried them. I have caught small fish on the worm ones. But I would have expected many more fish on real worm. The crab one in my opinion is useless. I tried the crab one whilst wrass fishing from a boat with friends. The wrass were jumping onto the hook with any bait. Except gulp crab.

I think the only thing this catches is the angler.

I tried it a few times from both boat & shore .......I did better from the boat .....but only just ..........by catching one fish more than the shore ,which was nill

Edited by pestguard1

Brian

(avatar is a 171lb common skate )

caught onboard "Catchalot" with Davy Holt

I was just wondering if any ANGLER not scientist has had any success with using this?

The only artificial bait that has worked for me has been fish-n-strips crab, particularly the green one during daylight for flatties, and at night for whiting, flatties, pouting, so far.

Not caught anything on Gulp.

However, it depends how long you try it for. How many times have we fished with good natural baits, and caught nothing!

It's hard trying an artificial properly, because you start out with little faith, and give up quickly, whereas with say lug or squid, you fish on with the knowledge that 'the bait is ok, just no fish about'.

The only way is to fish several sessions with one rod on normal bait, the other on artificial, and stick it out to the end!

I tryed some of the gulp stuff .using it like a jelly worm ,,,0,,,just a bad day i expect . i also tryed some of that fish & strips stuff in the summer of 06 when the 3 inch bream were striping the hooks as the bait landed ,,,,not a sniff , not even a mackeral or a scad ,,,& they throw them selves out of the water in to your bag,,,,,i seem to think , if the water is clear & u can use it as a visual movement bait ... you might just have a chance with that stuff ,,,,otherwise its proper bait rules ,,,,,ps ,,, some of that fibre based stuff is good for tipping off....gives the 2inch pout a bit of fun ,,& you never know the fuss might just get noticed by summit a bit bigger,,,,,,,,,,GB,,,

Ime off to yak skoool,,,,,,no more overruns to get out there,,,,

YES!

I go out on a boat out of Girvan fishing for Pollock and we use fake lug and rag on a lead head. I have had fish up to just under 10 lbs on them. The fire-tail worms seem to work well when the water is a little cloudy.

The skipper is adamant that apart from when there are mackerel around when belly strip is king, the top bait are the fake lug. I think the fish go for butterfish an the lug are about the same size and shape.

I have never fished them on the bottom though.........

YES!

I go out on a boat out of Girvan fishing for Pollock and we use fake lug and rag on a lead head. I have had fish up to just under 10 lbs on them. The fire-tail worms seem to work well when the water is a little cloudy.

The skipper is adamant that apart from when there are mackerel around when belly strip is king, the top bait are the fake lug. I think the fish go for butterfish an the lug are about the same size and shape.

I have never fished them on the bottom though.........

:D I've caught fish on them but it has to be moving. :D

I always thought they were a gimick , but last year fishing with Davy Holt one evening Davy put one on(the plain sandeel type) , the rest of us were using normal artificials he hammered us that evening probably 8-1. The next day I was the only one fishing them with the same result everyone else struggled.

Was fishing them really slow, there is definitely something in the coating that fish like, I just dropped one down the side of the slipway and it was soon swarmed by small coalies and pollack.

As a static bait not sure how confident i would be but spun slowly for pollack they definitely work.