Rescue your mate?

Dan

What would you do?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. You are working with a mate doing some drainage, your mate is down a man hole about 6' deep. You look and see that hes in a heap at the bottom it looks likes he's fallen but he's not responding to your shouts, what would you do?

• Go down and carry him out
    • Call for help

This follows on from on other rescue discussions, be honest what would your reaction be?

Dan

Edited by Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This follows on from on other rescue discussions, be honest what would your reaction be?

Dan

Well only three votes to date but 100% in favour of calling for help as gas could be the problem :D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Well only three votes to date but 100% in favour of calling for help as gas could be the problem :D

Oh give the game away why dont you!!! ;) ;)

Dan

Unfortunately Dan , it would be a mix of both. I would go down and check him out and ascertain if he's still alive / breakages then carry him out. On the other hand if there were any obvious compound fractures / profuse bleeding then i would cal for help.

Sorry mate but the situation dosen't carry the desired 'emergency' that i think the poll should be running. Perhaps another scenario with more instant / quick thinking would serve your poll better...

Just my opinion.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

Unfortunately Dan , it would be a mix of both. I would go down and check him out and ascertain if he's still alive / breakages then carry him out. On the other hand if there were any obvious compound fractures / profuse bleeding then i would cal for help.

Sorry mate but the situation dosen't carry the desired 'emergency' that i think the poll should be running. Perhaps another scenario with more instant / quick thinking would serve your poll better...

Just my opinion.

Ahh ...... but the trouble is you are now probably unconscious at best, dead at worst. Working in confined spaces is incredibly dangerous and in all likely hood what I described would be a collapse due to lack of oxygen/noxious gases. Going down just puts you at risk and in need of rescue. Accident records that show where this has happened, because it is the natural reaction to help your mate, are all too common.

I think it shows the point nicely, dont put yourself in danger, it might mean you cant help anyone.

When you are on an aircraft the message is put your mask on before helping others, the principle is the same.

dan

Ahh ...... but the trouble is you are now probably unconscious at best, dead at worst. Working in confined spaces is incredibly dangerous and in all likely hood what I described would be a collapse due to lack of oxygen/noxious gases. Going down just puts you at risk and in need of rescue. Accident records that show where this has happened, because it is the natural reaction to help your mate, are all too common.

I think it shows the point nicely, dont put yourself in danger, it might mean you cant help anyone.

When you are on an aircraft the message is put your mask on before helping others, the principle is the same.

dan

Have to say Dan it is very specific and applies to a certain area of industry where the staff should be fully trained in safety procedures, your plot also applies to large tanks even open ones.

Here is one for you: When driving in a refinery processing plant what is the one thing you must never do?

eat.gif

Petals Florist

dan

Fair comment Dan ,pricipals and protocols hmmmmm but what if it were your wife or child, or come to that a young kid?

Would you stick to protocol of personal safety if it were one of the above?

Me thinks not.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

Fair comment Dan ,pricipals and protocols hmmmmm but what if it were your wife or child, or come to that a young kid?

Would you stick to protocol of personal safety if it were one of the above?

Me thinks not.

The thing is Mr. M your wife or child is hardly likely to lift the lid of a chamber and enter it, that is why I said to Dan that his argument is only aimed at those who are fully trained for that situation.

eat.gif

Petals Florist

It's called making an assesement at the time, just like that bloke did. Don't think you would have a problem with the gas you are thinking of at that shallow depth Ken.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Here is one for you: When driving in a refinery processing plant what is the one thing you must never do?

Well I'd say never spark up (as in smoke), but I'm sure their are other things as well.

Like others mentioned, every industry has it's own hazards, with their own specific set of safety rules and requirements.

Rob.