Do you feel safe fishing?

Houghton

Yes, I always feel safe. I will only fish places where the risk of any human-related problems is so small it's not worth worrying about. When I lived in south London I really wanted to fish the Wandle, but never did because of all the dodgy types hanging around. If I can't relax when I'm fishing, there's no point going really. If I felt I had to arm myself before setting off, I think I'd probably watch A Passion for Angling instead :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are a lot of yobs/knobheads hanging about a few of the lakes near here one local lake as been more or less over taken by them and it is pointless even trying to go there for a days fishing

i have never yet been put in a situation where i have been threatened but the annoyance factor of being asked stupid questions and people hovering about when you have came out to relax and enjoy a days fishing

and dont like leaving the car unattended, so i try and get to more secluded locations when possible away from the local council estates

people shouldnt have to worry about these idiots but there is little that can be done to move them, but most anglers are decent people with the same interest, if i seen someone in need of help i would do my best to help them and i am sure there are a lot of other anglers who would do the same.

on most of the venues i fish there is always at least one person i have stopped for a chat with before, getting to know other anglers and having a familiar face about makes you feel a bit better about being out, and getting to know other anglers is the best way to find out tips and new venues

i think sticking together and helping each other out is the way to stop idiots from spoiling it for everyone

I can't ever remember a time when human interaction has ever worried me whilst fishing, save for the odd over zealous farmer when younger. This is much to do with location. It's rare I see anyone except the odd dog walker let alone the bad guys from Mad Max.

I think the only thing that really causes me any concerns is my over active imagination. I have for years been fascinated by the big cat sightings and reports in Norfolk and Suffolk. I realise that I have much more chance of being struck by lighting or the like but that dosn't stop me from heariing cracks in the bushes behind me in certain spots and taking them to be a large stalking feline. It's absolutely ridiculous.

I grew up in London in the 50's and 60's my fishing was on the Grand union canal, the serpentine, Hampton court and when with my friends Dad out at wallingford and Henley on the Thames.

In London as a ten to sixteen years old fishing the Grand Union i never felt uneasy, but i would have to say that i was in what could be discribed as my manor and people looked after there own and they were most different times.

Today i would not even dream about fishing such places, i now fish in Kent, but only my club waters which are quite and in most parts deserted.

My advice to any inner city fisherman or women is be careful be very very careful there are a lot of scrots out there.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

I can't ever remember a time when human interaction has ever worried me whilst fishing, save for the odd over zealous farmer when younger. This is much to do with location. It's rare I see anyone except the odd dog walker let alone the bad guys from Mad Max.

I think the only thing that really causes me any concerns is my over active imagination. I have for years been fascinated by the big cat sightings and reports in Norfolk and Suffolk. I realise that I have much more chance of being struck by lighting or the like but that dosn't stop me from heariing cracks in the bushes behind me in certain spots and taking them to be a large stalking feline. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Weird one that, I often imagine the big cat thing even though i live in Lancashire :lol:

You may not be safe in Lancashire tigger. http://www.scottishbigcats.co.uk/ianbonddiaries.htm

I think I'd better stop looking at those big cat websites they make it seem like theres one behind every bush. I won't be able to do my regular evenings Chub fishing if I carry on.

It is completely irrational being afraid of things that go bump in the night. We've hunted everything that could cause us harm into extinction hundreds of years ago. I think anything like the big cat thing is just the fear of the unknown however small the possibilities. It does make me feel a bit daft when I'm back in the van 1/2 an hour before I should be because I've had an attack of the heebie jeebies!

I was fishing a reservoire one sunday afternoon and I could here a shotgun being fired in the distance ,I thought it was the farmer shooting crows, anyway about 20 minutes later 5 young lads came over the field with 2 shotguns,they were blasting anything that moved.They were shooting at sea gulls and crows that were miles up in the sky and I kept getting showered with shot as it fell back down,they shot a coot on the water,it tried to hide but they just kept blasting it ,the poor thing just didn't stand a chance .They eventually walked off but I could still hear them blasting away in the distance for at least another hour,when I think about it I should have rang the police but I just sat there stunned and sick to the stomach,god only knows what would have happened if I had shouted at them.