Common Purpose

Lid

Dan, Captain,

Before dismissing the document as "tosh" , I think you should read it very carefully. Try to ignore the emotive and meaningless words such as "British Constitution" and look at the underlying substance.

Admittedly there is a lot of hype and exaggeration, but there are grains of truth here and there - the fact that the document makes mountains out of molehills does not mean we should not worry about the molehills.

Here is one paragraph (which I have edited to remove the emotive bits so that the sense comes through)

Now you tell us all what is "tosh" about that. In telling us, don't forget the low-paid Chinese cockle pickers who drowned, the low paid Eastern Europeans who labour in the vegetable fields of Lincolnshire and the climate in which "people trading" flourishes.

Likewise, control of our economy is to be handed over - which is my main concern.

Let me put it this way - supposing some nice chap in Brussels (whom you have never met) offered to look after you and your family. All he requires from you is an Enduring Power of Attorney. Would you sign it?

hello dave, the figure of 900,000 plus immigrants a year is nonsense,even the right wing migration watch run by andrew green puts the figure at 240,000, this has been disputed as high, by more centralist thinkers.

ref the chinese cockle pickers, they are either in uk on visas,in which case restrict the number of visas as done here,or they are illigal, in which case chuck them out.(as done here)we chucked out 94% of our illigal immigrants last year.the "low paid eastern europeans" are working for the same minimum wage as the low paid british,did you know that there are just over 500,000 british under the age of 35, that are registered as unfit for work at the moment?maybe if they were "unregistered" then there would be less work available for the eastern europeans?

the chinese do not have rights of free movement as they are non e.u.

how is control of your economy to be handed over? as far as i know we are in the same e.u as you, and control of our economy isnt being handed over?

why are you worried about someone in brussels "taking over,or looking after your family"??

why is it i only speak to people in britain that are being taken over!

sorry dave, but this is playground politics,stirred up by your media,i meant what i said that what happens to the uk,e.u wise has no effect on me, but it makes me sad to see how you are being manipulated.

i can give personal examples of your press manipulation,but im a bit busy now!

best regards dave vagabond-i hope you take my post in the manner in which its intended (frustrated sadness!)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Capt.

The basis of my disquiet is very simple. I would rather decisions affecting Britain were taken by people who are answerable to the British electorate. True, our politicians only seem answerable for a few days before each election, but that's better than the alternative.

The alternative is that such decisions will be taken in the interests of the EU as a whole, by people who are not directly answerable to the British electorate.

I'm glad life for you in Spain is OK - but having occasionally toured Spain in a campervan, we found it a tad over-regulated. The hassle involved in getting a fishing licence was just one example.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Hi Capt.

The basis of my disquiet is very simple. I would rather decisions affecting Britain were taken by people who are answerable to the British electorate. True, our politicians only seem answerable for a few days before each election, but that's better than the alternative.

The alternative is that such decisions will be taken in the interests of the EU as a whole, by people who are not directly answerable to the British electorate.

I'm glad life for you in Spain is OK - but having occasionally toured Spain in a campervan, we found it a tad over-regulated. The hassle involved in getting a fishing licence was just one example.

hi dave, over regulated! i have far more problems with institutions in britain,than ive ever had here! :lol:

fishing licence? takes one visit to a bank, one form,and 8€ per year licenced(once every 5 years) i can live with that!

the people that make decisions in brussels include brits you know! there are limits on many important aspects of national importance that are not decided there,for example,justice,foreign policy,tax etc

i still maintain that your real enemy is nearer to home,its pushed through your letter box every morning!

shame we couldnt meet for a beer when you were here,i would have enjoyed a chat!

if you need a licence let me know, if i can get you one for the area you are visiting, i will.

regards dave

1. fishing licence? takes one visit to a bank, one form,and 8€ per year licenced(once every 5 years)

2. if you need a licence let me know, if i can get you one for the area you are visiting, i will.

1. Then it has simplified - we had to go to a fisheries admin place, wait half an hour, fill in the forms, take the forms to a bank (one particular bank - not just any bank) pay the fees, take the receipts back to the admin centre, wait another half hour while the licences were processed. Oh, and passports were inspected at each stage. But, yes, the upside was that they were valid for five years.

2. Thanks, may well take you up on that.

What is the enemy that comes through the letter box? If you mean newspapers, I haven't bought one for years. Norma buys a Times on Saturdays, but that's just for the Jumbo Crossword, although I may read the cricket pages.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

1. Then it has simplified - we had to go to a fisheries admin place, wait half an hour, fill in a form, take the form to a bank (one particular bank - not just any bank) pay the fee, take the receipt back to the admin centre, wait another half hour while the licence was processed. But, yes, the upside was that it was valid for five years.

2. Thanks, may well take you up on that.

What is the enemy that comes through the letter box? If you mean newspapers, I haven't bought one for years. Norma buys a Times on Saturdays, but that's just for the Jumbo Crossword, although I may read the cricket pages.

hi dave, yes i meant newspapers,but i wasnt refering to your mailbox specifically!

if there was one law,and only one,that i could modify in the uk, it would be to make it a criminal act to KNOWINGLY print a story which is false.

we have this law here,and it exists in other european countries. consequently the newspapers report news,rather than try to invent it.

the penalties are quite harsh,big fines and prison sentences are on the statute for offenders.

If i can illustrate the difference in uk press from ours for instance.

i occasonaly work with a guy called john chapman,(30 years daily mail) some time ago he was asked by them to gather information on"crime in spain".he duly did so,he gathered information on crimes going back two years, and wrote the article.(you may rememer it)

he rang me one morning to say it was in the days edition,i was on my way to get a flight back to the uk, i picked up a copy at the airport.i duly read the article"crime in spain,over two years, blah blah etc"

when i arrived at my parents place in the uk, i found they had also bought a copy,BUT it the uk version, it was"crime in spain in last TWO WEEKS!"

because my version was printed in spain,it had to be truthful,your version..........

i rang john, and he just said"its what they do all the time".

this is the sort of thing i was refering to, when i was refering to manipulation of the people.

it goes on everday, on a massive scale.

(media is just one of the things im involved in!)

i have other examples dave,unfortunatly!