Perch in the rain

Anderoo

In response to Flying Tench

The very first pike I ever saw caught was in torrential rain. It was not raining where we were (in a boat tucked just inside a culvert in a Norfolk mill pool) but it was really lashing down outside where the pike was. That would be in 1943 - the pike was about 12 lb, and caught by my uncle on our first fishing trip together after I had been rescued from my anti-fishing parents.

At the time my biggest fish was a 2 lb crucian so I was well impressed by the pike.

However, I can recollect few pike in the rain since, but that may be because I fish for pike in high pressure conditions. Cat ice in the margins, crunchy rimy grass underfoot, breath condensing like a steam engine - that sort of day.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, I can recollect few pike in the rain since, but that may be because I fish for pike in high pressure conditions. Cat ice in the margins, crunchy rimy grass underfoot, breath condensing like a steam engine - that sort of day.

These are exactly the kind of days I love for piking too :) When I was younger I tried piking in all weathers, but can honestly say I've never caught a pike in the rain. I've no idea why, and find it a little odd that perch aren't affected by whatever it is the pike don't like. Anyone had a zander in the rain?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Same here, I've very rarely caught decent pike in heavy rain.

As I've mentioned on another topic I've recently been re-reading all my pike books. It's interesting that several authors have mentioned the same thing.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

strange to hear comments on pike n rain. i had my most productive session ever in realy heavy rain and wind and i mean "Heavy" pb of around 10-12lb and 3 jacks around 5lb

There are always exceptions of course. For instance Paul Gustafson in "How to Catch Bigger Pike" specifically mentions Scotland as being an exception. He suggests it's because it's almost always raining in Scotland!

I wonder if it's more to do with the depth of the water, Scotland's lakes generally being deeper than England's. In deep waters rain would have less of an effect.

Could it be that rain hitting the surface mucks up the pike's hearing or lateral line sense making it less efficient for it to hunt in heavy rain? It therefore doesn't expend energy then and rests up (which pike as opposed to other fish do a lot more, indeed most of the time).

In fact looking back, I can't ever recall catching a 15lbs+ pike in heavy rain. In light rain/drizzle, yes. Jacks, yes. But then in my experience jacks feed more often than 15lb+ pike anyway. It may also be that they're affected less by heavy rain, perhaps because they use vision more, or that they haven't yet learned it's a waste of energy to hunt then.

Of course, if you plonk a bait or lure right on top of a pike in heavy rain, it may still take it if it's not totally switched off. Waters differ too.

However, it's interesting that so many authors have had the same experience as me. Apart from Paul Gustafson, others that spring to mind are Martin Gay and James Holgate.

BTW, sorry to hijack your perch thread, Andrew!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

There are always exceptions of course. For instance Paul Gustafson in "How to Catch Bigger Pike" specifically mentions Scotland as being an exception. He suggests it's because it's almost always raining in Scotland!

I wonder if it's more to do with the depth of the water, Scotland's lakes generally being deeper than England's. In deep waters rain would have less of an effect.

Could it be that rain hitting the surface mucks up the pike's hearing or lateral line sense making it less efficient for it to hunt in heavy rain? It therefore doesn't expend energy then and rests up (which pike as opposed to other fish do a lot more, indeed most of the time).

In fact looking back, I can't ever recall catching a 15lbs+ pike in heavy rain. In light rain/drizzle, yes. Jacks, yes. But then in my experience jacks feed more often than 15lb+ pike anyway. It may also be that they're affected less by heavy rain, perhaps because they use vision more, or that they haven't yet learned it's a waste of energy to hunt then.

Of course, if you plonk a bait or lure right on top of a pike in heavy rain, it may still take it if it's not totally switched off. Waters differ too.

However, it's interesting that so many authors have had the same experience as me. Apart from Paul Gustafson, others that spring to mind are Martin Gay and James Holgate.

BTW, sorry to hijack your perch thread, Andrew!

Don't apologise, I'm liking these developments :)

I had a similar theory backed up by no science whatsoever that rain messes up a pike sensory organs and so limits its hunting ability, which is why I'm quite surprised that perch aren't the same.

Are pike and perch fundamentally different creatures in the way they hunt and feed? Perch more to do with sight perhaps, and pike more to do with smell or vibration?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Blast! Just copied and pasted the wrong reply and lost the proper one. I'll have to start all over again!

Edited by Steve Burke

Are pike and perch fundamentally different creatures in the way they hunt and feed? Perch more to do with sight perhaps, and pike more to do with smell or vibration?

I believe so. As I've posted elsewhere perch have better eyesight than any other coarse fish except zander. They hunt most efficently in poor light (like in heavy rain) when they have the maximum advantage over their poorer-sighted prey.

On the other hand look at the pores (small holes) that pike have on and near the head. These are part of its neuromast system that detect vibrations. This strongly suggests that pike use vibrations to hunt a great deal.

It's interesting that a lot less jacks are caught on deadbaits as opposed to livebaits or lures. Barrie Rickards has suggested that this may be down to the sense of smell not being fully developed in young pike. This could well be correct.

However, big pike are always female. Could it therefore actually be down to gender, and that the relatively few jacks we do catch on deadbaits are largely females?

Big pike don't of course just eat deadbaits. Most of their food is taken live. However if heavy rain does interfere with their neuromast system it would be more efficient to lay up then and conserve their energy (which of course they do most of the time anyway). This could either be a learned response or in their genetic make-up.

All this is one possible explanation as to why big pike don't often get caught in heavy rain, but big perch do.

I'm sure others can come up with alternatives.

Edited by Steve Burke

It's an interesting topic..

I think you guys are onto something with the lateral line thing although of course I have no scientific fact to back that up.

Maybe rather than the actual physical effect the rain may have on the water i.e hitting the surface and colouration e.t.c, might it be a pressure thing with Pike.

Winter low pressure systems generally bring rain and going by the consensus of opinion less Pike and high pressure systems generally bring calm settled conditions and greater number of Pike to rod and line. Perhaps the air pressure affects the water and the Pikes 'wiring' and triggers concentrated feeding spells.

This would back up the Scottish lochs theory as a greater body of water would in theory again be less affected by a rise and fall in pressure.

It could then again be down to the effect the weather system haves on the temperature inclines in the water. Could a greater surface area of water be open to more influence from a weather system or would the depth of the water negate it..

I think I have more questions that potential answers.

I've kept an increasingly more detailed log of every trip I've had over the last five years or so mainly because I have a meory like a sieve, just had a quick flick through it and I have taken a fair few Pike in the rain but interestingly only from rivers.

It seems that I've never taken a Pike from a stillwater in the rain the pike I've had in the wet from rivers have all been under 15lb's.

A factor that may be worth considering as I think it has a bearing on my results is something regardless of the conditions in a way. I've had more success when I get a certain feeling and have had time to brew up to sessions.

I sometimes need to sit and think of a certain species or a certain river, lake or swim and wait till it feels right then set off. It's hard to quantify but I'll become very singleminded until i crack it.

Theres certain days when it feels like 'I'll definitely get that Chub today' and it feels right, then I fish much better than if I've found myself with a few hours to kill and dawdle along to the river for a bit.

This of course is a highly un-scientific approach..

Edited by dant