D80 first pics

Sutton Warrior

Following on from the disastrous first D80 body. Hazel and I took the dog for a walk along the beach to day, obviously the D80 + 18-200 VR was tried with a vengeance. Well pleased, set it to auto everything and of we went. For a wide to long focal length, covering a big range, in my humble opinion, is did well. Yes we know there are limitations but as the walk about, 'all things to all men' it is designed to be, initially it satisfied me. I know I will be adding to, but the 'ad to lenses' will be specific and dedicated types.

The Nikon D80 body is a bit 'wow', colour saturation on auto is so vivid, I will be toning that down a bit, an option in the menu. As I say everything was auto this afternoon. I did try a ply with the aperture/shutter in 'P' which paid off at F7.1, but it was a bit cold on the beach, any further fiddling will have to wait for another day, thank god for auto everything!

Rope at F7.1. A tad of sharpening in the camera but non on this shot in PS.

1RoperwDSC_0012.jpg

Auto colour, vivid or what!

2ShiprwDSC_0014.jpg

Have more, but a couple of them will probably end up in the Feb comp, so I'll keep the rest to myself for the time being <_<

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

Nice pics, well just pics really SW. Nothing less than you would expect from any modern camera though.

Not trying to be nasty or anything, enjoy your new purchase :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Welcome (at last!) to the world of Nikon :thumbs:

Here is a good link for you (and anyone else with a Nikon DSLR or thinking of buying one). The instruction manual you get with the camera tells you what you can do with it, this site (written by someone who actually uses the cameras) tells you what you should do....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Nice pics, well just pics really SW. Nothing less than you would expect from any modern camera though.

Not trying to be nasty or anything, enjoy your new purchase :)

Den

Very true 'Poldark', pictures, thats what I expected, just pictures . . . the camera does nothing more than record what the 'photographer' points it at. But now I now where to start making adjustments, what functions to switch off, ignore etc. A fancy camera don't take fancy pictures <_<

SW

Welcome (at last!) to the world of Nikon :thumbs:

Here is a good link for you (and anyone else with a Nikon DSLR or thinking of buying one). The instruction manual you get with the camera tells you what you can do with it, this site (written by someone who actually uses the cameras) tells you what you should do....

Hi John S,

Ken Rockwell, I have read some of his 'hands on' reviews, down to earth or what! It was his review of the 18-200VR that pushed me in that direction. Did not realise he had done a D80, I will read with interest. Any advise on where to go with the menu settings will be gratefully received. Some are obvious preference, but even so, example is always worth taking note of.

The camera was not purchased as a shortcut to better pictures, any one who believes that is going to be very disappointed. I decided that, 10 mp's, 300ppi, in the Nikon fold, was where I wanted to be. My personal future dictates that this is likely to be my last camera body? A dedicated lens or two will help along the way, concentrating on the job of using them properly.

Its a life style decision really, I have made a couple of other life decisions in the past few months, to good effect I hope?

So thanks for that link John.

SW

John S,

Just run quickly through KR's D80 guide, a couple of tips there that I had a '?' over when I was going through the menu/instruction book on the camera. So, as its just after 11 o'clock pm, I'm going to give it a full read, fresh, in the morning. Not happy with his idea of 'vivid +', thats one for personal preference. :rolleyes:

SW

First of all congratulations on your new d80 mate!! hope you have fun with it and get the pics you are after.....first pic on this thread looks pretty good though and im sure when your a bit more familiar with the d80 the standard of pics will rise and rise!!

Cheers for that link john s had a quick look and will go beck for a full read when i get a bit more time!!

Good luck SW i look forward to seeing your progress with your new camera.

Ollie

You can view my photo album @.... olliejays photo album

Well folks, I've read all sorts of comments on Ken Rockwell's way of doing things, he is definitely not for the 'Anoraks' <_< However if you want, down to earth plain speak, its worth the read, he states facts and gives an 'opinion' where personal preference is appropriate. I have read 'his way' with the D80, absorbed some, will need to go back again, and again, I have now doubt. But at least one gets a starting point, the options on modern digital cameras get very confusing. The old days were much simpler, (with a touch of 'black art skill'?) I'm beginning to realise, film type, lighting and a light meter . . . ? Read Kens 'how its done' and he also acknowledges the 'artistic' side, being in the right place at the right time, the right light etc.

However, as with all things 'computer', the element of chance has been largely removed. Even if its manual you want, knowing how and why cant be a bad thing, 'black art skill' is still alive and well me thinks?

Thanks again for the link John S.

SW

PS Sit down after lunch and see if I can sort a couple of shots out from yesterdays camera waving session for this months comp?

Thanks again for the link John S.

My pleasure :) Why not print out a copy for reference? I've got a couple of his articles permanently in my gadget bag now, I tend to refer to them before the destruction manual.

Don't forget, you can upgrade the 'firmware' in the D80 - details here.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

My pleasure :) Why not print out a copy for reference? I've got a couple of his articles permanently in my gadget bag now, I tend to refer to them before the destruction manual.

Don't forget, you can upgrade the 'firmware' in the D80 - details here.

Thanks again John, checked the 'Firm wear' in my D80, its showing the latest 1.01 version, I presume thats correct, seems right according to the infomation on the link? I will put the link in my favorites with 'KR' link, so that as time goes by and updates occur, I have it on tap.

Thanks, SW