D80 first pics

Sutton Warrior

My pleasure :) Why not print out a copy for reference? I've got a couple of his articles permanently in my gadget bag now, I tend to refer to them before the destruction manual.

Don't forget, you can upgrade the 'firmware' in the D80 - details here.

A good idea to do a KR print out for my bag. Curently looking for a new one . Have a small 'Lowepro Nova 1' Like it, but to small for my future asperations!! :rolleyes: So I will be looking at the Nova 2 or 3?

SW

Thanks again John, checked the 'Firm wear' in my D80, its showing the latest 1.01 version, I presume thats correct, seems right according to the infomation on the link?

Yep, that's the one you want :)

To be honest, I couldn't see any difference in the performance or anything after upgrading it :unsure:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Oh boy, you're going to have some fun with this sucker SW. The first pic looks like and ordinary pic but the second, while not a fabulous picture (I like it but its not breath taking) shows high quality. Its got great colour and is sharp as a tack. Nice work.

Mick.

rb_getcreative.gif

A good idea to do a KR print out for my bag. Curently looking for a new one . Have a small 'Lowepro Nova 1' Like it, but to small for my future asperations!! :rolleyes: So I will be looking at the Nova 2 or 3?

SW

If you can afford it, buy the Lowpro Stealth Reporter, big enough to carry your camera and all those lenses that you will buy in the future. I got one free (but in unused condition) a couple of years ago when I bought a Bronica ETRS from a chap in the pub, it holds the Bronica, D80, four lenses, various accessories and a collection of Cokin filters, and there's still unused pockets inside. There's still enough room for another camera body. In a pocket on the top of the bag is a plastic sheet that covers the entire top if you're caught in a shower, but at the bottom in a second pocket is another plastic sheet that covers the entire bag for those tropical monsoons!

A bit pricey (about £60-70) but well worth it, it will probably be the last camera bag you'll need to buy....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

If you can afford it, buy the Lowpro Stealth Reporter, big enough to carry your camera and all those lenses that you will buy in the future. I got one free (but in unused condition) a couple of years ago when I bought a Bronica ETRS from a chap in the pub, it holds the Bronica, D80, four lenses, various accessories and a collection of Cokin filters, and there's still unused pockets inside. There's still enough room for another camera body. In a pocket on the top of the bag is a plastic sheet that covers the entire top if you're caught in a shower, but at the bottom in a second pocket is another plastic sheet that covers the entire bag for those tropical monsoons!

A bit pricey (about £60-70) but well worth it, it will probably be the last camera bag you'll need to buy....

John,

I have this thing about 'compact' for walk about, D80 & 18-200VR + one other lens, probably a XXX 12-30'ish, which is why I'm looking at the Nova 2 or 3?

For some serious photography, I'm getting a hankering for the Sigma 50-500, which dictates my Manfoto 455 tripod, a great lump but its not light, has its own carry case and strap! . . . mono pod will need consideration? To accommodate the serious kit I have a much loved 'Tenba' bag. Beloved, because it came 10 years ago, via the same shop as the new D80, it was a 'used bargain', actually the property of Andy the then Manager of Watford SRS, he had always been a good source of advise. Shortly after I purchased the 'Tenba bage' he was killed along with his son in a car crash. Every time I pick the bag up I think of Andy. It will also accommodate two or three extra lenses.

The way I see it, serious by my standards = good T/P (Sigma 50-500?), decent wide angle 12-??? and my kit 18-70 lens to cover the short middle range. Better glass would be desirable, but I'm dreaming at the mo? I have not put anything out of the frame yet, just waiting . . . and recovering, from the D80-18-200 hit on my bank balance! :headhurt:

Any suggestions on that XXX 12-Xmm something???

Regards, SW

Oh boy, you're going to have some fun with this sucker SW. The first pic looks like and ordinary pic but the second, while not a fabulous picture (I like it but its not breath taking) shows high quality. Its got great colour and is sharp as a tack. Nice work.

Mick.

Hi mate, I take your points, but the pics were posted only to show how 'sharp' (try zooming in on the post/rope!!!) As you picked up on the second one, the colour, I find it perhaps a little vivid, prefer 'understated Britishness' :rolleyes: as Ken Rokwell put it. However, yes I'm planing some real serious camera waving sessions in the future.

SW

Great camera SW, which your shots show especially the second one. As other posters have said, it shows great colour potential, excellent clarity & sharpness. You must be dying to get out there & start experimenting if thats what it does on auto!

I notice you're thinking of a 500mm lens & a monopod, can I suggest you also get a beanbag. There are lots of situations where a tripod or monopod hinders rather than helps. Using a beanbag gives you a flat base....& a seat if you need one :)

Expecting great things from the forthcoming shots....no pressure though :P

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Great camera SW, which your shots show especially the second one. As other posters have said, it shows great colour potential, excellent clarity & sharpness. You must be dying to get out there & start experimenting if thats what it does on auto!

I notice you're thinking of a 500mm lens & a monopod, can I suggest you also get a beanbag. There are lots of situations where a tripod or monopod hinders rather than helps. Using a beanbag gives you a flat base....& a seat if you need one :)

Expecting great things from the forthcoming shots....no pressure though :P

Mmm, like the double function of a bean bag. The '50-500 and 12-XXX' will have to wait a while, but a beanie, thats not going to cost a lot, plus a monopod will be useful now, even with VR fully operational, these old hand are not as steady as they used to be. Despite this vision of the future, I can see the 18-200VR making me lazy, especial when I can crop down the way I have on the two comp shots. Its the way I have done it for years, point, click, get the shot, than crop to 'taste' :lol: a doddle on digital, thank god for 10mp's.

Have need to go to SRS again tomorrow pm, the 'multi selector' has gone all but non operational to the right! requires excess pressure to get it to work! Very unusual for Nikon this??? Out of 7 Nikon bodies, this is the first that has been troublesome? They do things like beanies and Monopods as SRS :g: I think I'm going to need an extra card and battery as well?

SW