Ultrabite- a challenge for you

Guest Alan Taylor

Various additives for sea bait have been around for years.

Three friends and I tested many different ideas over 2/3 years on over 35 boat trips in the UK, fishing at anchor with bait (not lures/pirks).

We have marinated squid in natural oils,such as fish,crab,lobster etc.

Tried to inject worms with the latest "feeding frenzy" artificial chemical.

Used everything from freshwater feeders to old wasing-up liquid bottles to get "stimulants" soaked in sponge,cotton wool,cork etc, down to the "frenzied" fish.

It was almost impossible to field test the efficiency of these methods.

The users sometimes caught more fish,sometimes they didn,t.

When we all used exacly the same bait,rigs etc, some of us caught more than the others.

Sometimes the uptide rods caught more than the "droppers" ,sometimes they didn,t.

Port outfished starboard and then starboard outfished port.

I suspect it will always be like this, especially sea fishing.

We finally lost interest in making someone else rich or performing miracles and went back to enjoying our fishing.

It stopped the charter skippers having a smile as well. :)

I think if the fish are there and you have a good natural bait, you have as much chance as the angler next to you.

I can,t remember the exact wording,but its something like "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". :rolleyes:

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any fears anybody has anout the chemical element should not worry - the pheremones that have been identified have been replicated and not produced - the product is entirely safe for the enviroment and one of the ongoing projects is Ultrabites inclusion in an artificle bait that can be used in Pots / Longilines. Roger Bayzand also told me that when he visited the labs and was shown the reactions of various species that the Lobster was the most incredible - a couple of drops at the other end of the tank produced an immediate reaction - by the time time it had spread through the water a little the thing was dancing on its tail all over the tank - still they may have trained it :rolleyes:

There is already a scandinavian bait produced for the commercial market that is basically a sausage that you cut lumps off and use as bait (I saw Matt Hayes using it on a tightlines programme) This stuff is designed to have much longer scent trail, fish baits on longlines wash out very quickly, a longer release scent trail increases the efficeny of the gear.

If there is a successful artificial bait created for the Potting industry it will certainly stop the Rape that goes on round here each winter - Boats trawling up tonnes of spawning flounder simply to use as potbait!!!! :mad:

Rob

[ 20 February 2002, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: RobT ]

I remain unconvinced, the principle is wrong, unless you are subsistence fishing for food, for me at least, I like the thought that its my skill that has helped to land the fish not some form of chemical hypnosis.

I also am not convinced about the drop in the ocean theory, the product may or may not have unwanted side effects, but it doesnt take long for many unwanted chemicals to build up in the animals at the top end of the food chain, radiation is naturally occuring but it doesnt mean its harmless! Of course I'm not saying this stuff is toxic but I'm not buying it and it aint gonna be used on my boat! As they say the choice is ours!

Dan

Keep it pure

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Dan:

I remain unconvinced, the principle is wrong, unless you are subsistence fishing for food, for me at least, I like the thought that its my skill that has helped to land the fish not some form of chemical hypnosis.

Of course I'm not saying this stuff is toxic but I'm not buying it and it aint gonna be used on my boat! As they say the choice is ours!

Dan

Keep it pure

I am also unconvinced Dan and am not trying to convince you or others. What I would like to see though is some sort of response from UB and the people doing the tests. After all, we are the potential target market for there angling outlets.

As usual the original topic posted has grown from a fairly simple question to where we are now. I would like to address some of your comments without (I hope) causing offence.

You say the principle is wrong, I think the idea is to stimulate feeding and attract the fish to your bait and that is as far as it goes for me.

YOU use your skills to make your rigs, get to the grounds that are producing your target species at the time of the year/tide/weather conditions etc.

It is your skill that delivers the hook and bait to the fish intact and keeps it there.

It is your skill that recognises a bite from a bounce along the bottom. It is your skill that strikes at the right time, gets control of the fish, fights a heavier fish than your line test as it dives back to the wreck/reef. It is your skill or a friends that either nets or gaffs your fish and at the end of the fight you decide to put the fish back or keep it for the pot.

IMO UB is being sold as an attractor or feeding stimulant. A bit like a spinner, pirk, rubber eel etc, designed to attract the fish and stimulate it into attacking it as prey/food.

Toxic it is NOT, but while I am on this, next time you are in the vicinity of Brixham, take a look at the sewage outfall by St Marys bay on an ebb tide or go a mile off and see what is coming out of the ships that are waiting for the pilot to be changed, what comes out of the river Dart in the summer with all the yatchs etc. Are lead weights toxic? What chemicals are used to make up rubber eels, jelly worms etc? Who uses WD40 to coat bait or tackle? These are just a few of the things we leave in the water when fishing and lose tackle.

Sorry, went off a bit there.

Not all boat anglers have the luxury of having there own boat, they pay a lot of money to get out when they can and when they go they want fish for the pot or friends pots, IF a safe product gives them that extra chance or even the extra confidence in there bait then it is there choice.

As to buying it, I doubt if a lot of anglers will buy it until and IF it has been proven to work but until then some of us are willing to give it a try and see IF it works, under what conditions etc.

Lastly, the choice IS yours Dan, you can tell your friends that UB will not be used on your boat, at the end of the day it is your boat and the choice is YOURS and nothing to do with if your friends want to try it out.

I hope you have not taken offence, my answer was meant as if we were having a chat in the pub, you with your views and me with mine. OK? :)

Tight lines

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Absolutely no offence taken!! We're all entitled to our own views and choices of fishing tackle, I wouldnt seek to force anyone to use or not use the stuff, and to put it in perspective there's not much room for anyone but me in my boat, a dingy is a better description but it cost me less than a good beachcaster and reel!

I take your point about polution and the stuff we put in our water, and yep, I've fished off Hopes Nose and seen the slick drift past as the tide turned (brown as it happened!)(and eaten the fish I caught!) but 2 wrongs dont make a right, SW Water are slowly sorting the outfalls. I expect they can only say that this product doesnt appear toxic (or more probably behaviour influencing) at the moment only time will tell.

I also agree that it doesnt take away all the other angling skills required to catch fish, but it does take some away from bait choice and presentation.

The choice is ours but I still think its not for me!!!

Dan

Dan:

Absolutely no offence taken!!

Thanks Dan, If you have a small chart from hopes nose to the entrance to the Dart, I could show you some nice spots for conger mullet and 2lb+ whiting. You probably know the marks but just incase, email if you are interested.

Tight lines

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Cheers Alan

Most of the time I fish (from my boat) along the Dorset Coast because thats the area I grew up around, but any marks around Torbay would be welcome, I dont have a chart to hand but will search for one, and I can return the favour for the Lyme Regis area but only inshore.

Dan :):):)