Help - Which Lures do you recomend for small Lakes, Gravel Pits and rivers like the upper Great Ouse?

BoldBear

I'd personally keep cracking on with the Big S....it's a very versatile lure which can be 'ripped' deep or twitched on the top in the summer....caught lots of pike on them

Rubber, Replicant style lures are also worth a crack...seem to be pretty reliable at most venues

C-rig is just too strange then? Shame really since putting a 10" plastic worm on one and fishing slow can be really deadly for large fish and the lure is virtually snagless.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I used to fish the Upper Ouse a lot between Stony Stratford and Buckingham and I caught hundreds of pike and perch on number 4 Ondex spoons. However, I never got any of the bigger pike on them, I caught most of them on a Heddons Lucky 13. However, having said that the biggest pike I caught up there was only 12.5lbs. A method that I found very successful though was to suspend a herring below a float and trot it along a run beside the reeds. I would check it from time to time so that the herring rose to the surface and then let it run again. I took a lot of pike that way and they frequently took the herring right on the surface so it was pretty exciting too. I believe that there are still some pretty big perch in the Thornton Bridge area so there is always a very good chance of getting one of them on the Ondex. Even chub will take them on occasions too.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Thanks for all the excellent advice, I'm looking forward to trying some of the lures and methods that you have mentioned. I also have a couple of smaller spinning rods (5g & 30g) so I can also try some of the lighter lures for other fish as well.

I will be spending a few quid on some new lures this weekend. Although I won't giveup on the the Big S ones completely.

Thanks again

tight lines

Quote from Puzzled:

As a matter of interest BoldBear, wherabouts on the Ouse are you trying?

I'm a bit wary of giving the exact location online in-case I turn up and find dozens of Pike anglers there already; before I've even had a chance at them; but it is between Odell and Milton Ernest :) .

Quote from ModelCitizen:

Can anyone provide a link to the Big "S" lure thing? I've not heard of it before. Might as well buy yet another of the bleedin' things (I hate myself).

See link--> Big S Plugs

Thanks again for all your help.

BB

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)