Kennet at Newbury (the story continues)

rob4310

I had my first go at Northcroft in Newbury since before Christmas. Fished the same swim as before, just upstream of the footbridge on the small side stream. did a couple of hours Wed, Thurs and Friday afternoon when i finished work early. Very fast flow so leadgered with big maggot feeder. Wed had some small Dace and a 2lb 10oz Chub on double maggot. Thurs just small Dace but I only fished about an hour. Friday half a dozen small dace, a 1lb 10oz Chub and then at about 5pm a 7lb 11oz Barbel on a lob worm. My scales only go up to 7lb but luckily a guy was passing who had been pike fishing up river. so i borrowed his. 2nd Barbel and again biggest fish i have ever caught. Took ages to land and i've invested in a better rod and bigger landing net since i caught the 4lb er before christmas. No big long runs just hugged the bottom and stayed there. Picture to follow as soon as i can get it off the phone.

:D

Nice fishing - though I'd think twice about identifying the swim quite so accurately - I'm sure I'm not the only one who knows EXACTLY where you're fishing!! (You might find someone in it next time you want to give it a go!) If you're looking to cast your net a bit further next season both Newbury and Thatcham AA's have some cracking bits of water which produce good bags to trotted mag approaches. (I wasn't that far downstream of you on Thursday morning for my nice haul of chub...)

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Some general info such as where to park and which stretches can be fished would be quite helpful to those not in the know.

I'm fairly new to the area and even newer to river trotting, had a great day at Barton Court Estate on Friday and was talking to a chap about fishing locations in Newbury, he mentioned that some were free. I've been to the town a couple of times but couldn't picture the places he was talking about so a starting point with some town references would be very much appreciated.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Some general info such as where to park and which stretches can be fished would be quite helpful to those not in the know.

I'm fairly new to the area and even newer to river trotting, had a great day at Barton Court Estate on Friday and was talking to a chap about fishing locations in Newbury, he mentioned that some were free. I've been to the town a couple of times but couldn't picture the places he was talking about so a starting point with some town references would be very much appreciated.

As far as i am aware the Kennet in Newbury is free fishing from the Wharf upstream through the town to Egypt point.Up and downstream of those two locations it falls under Newbury AA control.As Chris suggested you are better off joining the Newbury or Thatcham clubs.In addition if you join Thatcham AA you can if you wish for an additional payment be affiliated to RDAA.This will give you access to large amounts of the kennet downstream of newbury.

As far as i am aware the Kennet in Newbury is free fishing from the Wharf upstream through the town to Egypt point.Up and downstream of those two locations it falls under Newbury AA control

That's my understanding too - though strictly speaking it's only for residents of Newbury - so I'm told! Don't forget there's also substantial free bits of the River Lambourn too.

C.

Edited by Chris Plumb

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

That's my understanding too - though strictly speaking it's only for residents of Newbury - so I'm told! Don't forget there's also sunstantial free bits of the River Lambourn too.

C.

That's right, he mentioned some ancient 'status' of local residents which can only be handed down through generations. Can't remember what it was called

Welcome, Rusty, good to hear of another A.N. person in Newbury area.

Just to clarify for someone who doesn't know Newbury, the Wharf is the bit just above the A339. The A339 is the eastern boundary for the free bit. The western boundary is where the river flows into the canal about 400 yds above Northcroft Leisure centre, which I guess must therefore be Egypt point. But from Kennet Road to Egypt Point you can only fish the southern bank. You can also fish the sidestream Rob 4310 referred to from Northcoft LS upstream to and including the little weirpool where the sidestream runs off the Kennet. Also about 100 yds of river from there going upstream. You can also fish the south side of the sidestream (previously mill stream) that flows in at the Lock Stock and Barrel.

You can park free at Northcroft leisure Centre. Incidently there's also a car park on Northcroft Lane where I assume you can fish where the river looks quite interesting to me but where I've never seen anyone fishing. You can park at the Wharf by the library, but you have to pay.

For the western end on the south bank parking is not easy, but you can usually find somewhere. Otherwise you have to go in the town centre car parks

What sort of fishing are you into?

Edited by The Flying Tench

john clarke

Hi Tench, thanks for the welcome.

The guidance was very helpful thank you and with some google mapping I now know where I can and can’t fish. We moved to Wantage from Dartford, Kent about 18 months ago following a job re-location so I’m still finding out about the area.

Apart from sea fishing I’ve tried most forms of angling. Bought a load of used carp gear last year and gave that a whirl during the summer and I’ve still got a few fly rods & reels which are due an airing soon (seems expensive around here though, particularly if you don’t like Trout). Currently though it’s river fishing, I’ve never caught a Barbel or Grayling so it would be nice to tick those boxes.

I enjoy any form of fishing really but being mobile and travelling light appeals the most, this area provides ample opportunities for that (if you know where they are)….for the next couple of weeks anyway.