killing pike

dapper64

Excellent article Leon... One of my fishing buddies had a nasty experience last week with a couple of oldies who were totally ignorant towards the Pike debate and were horrified when he released a Pike back from whence it came, his response was "If you had killed that pike in front of me you would be going home very wet and cold" Needless to say they were horrified that a "proper" fisherman had such a disgusting view on Pike not being culled...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A fairly Neanderthal attitude, and one that is unfortunately very widespread here in Denmark, where any species that doesn't have an adipose fin is regarded as superfluous to requirements. I was walking the banks of one of the clubs lakes last autumn with a senior member, when we came across no less than three cadavers around the 8-12lbs mark. They'd been just thrown into the copse, judging by the disturbance of leaf litter on the ground...they hadn't even been knocked on the head. Barbaric.

Excellent article Leon... One of my fishing buddies had a nasty experience last week with a couple of oldies who were totally ignorant towards the Pike debate and were horrified when he released a Pike back from whence it came, his response was "If you had killed that pike in front of me you would be going home very wet and cold" Needless to say they were horrified that a "proper" fisherman had such a disgusting view on Pike not being culled...

i had a similar experience with a couple of matchmen when i caught a nice zander on a lure. for f*** sake, what is wrong with people in this country? we have precious few sport fish (as my american friends would call them) and all these guys want to do is chuck them in the bushes!

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

At one time it was pretty much a common thing to see Pike just thrown up the bank, it always got my back and still does. I hope I never actually witness anyone do it or I might finnish up in trouble...........them first though !

As Lutra says most top waters are also prolific pike waters .

Edited by tigger

That's probably the best post Ive ever read and I'm a none pike angler.

Incidentally a lot of the things in there apply to the introduction of new species and waters in general.

The best fishing is for the healthiest fish which is achieved by leaving things alone so nature can find the perfect balance.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

A great shame that people still show a very poor knowledge of nature but a seemingly extensive one of urban myth!

Not as common (thank god and the hard work done by the likes of the PAC) as it used to be but as this shows still out there.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

correct me if im wrong but pike usaully eat injured unwell or even diseased fish they mostly eat the easiest fish to take in a shoal so in my oppinion they are doing the water a favour by getting rid of the poor quality in each species.

as the saying goes only the strongest survive

a 30lb pike around my area are non existant if you catch a 20lb pike you are doing well

correct me if im wrong but pike usaully eat injured unwell or even diseased fish they mostly eat the easiest fish to take in a shoal so in my oppinion they are doing the water a favour by getting rid of the poor quality in each species.

as the saying goes only the strongest survive

a 30lb pike around my area are non existant if you catch a 20lb pike you are doing well

Don't know about "usually" but they'll investigate any unusual movement, which will often than not trigger an attack. But they don't get to be 30lbs on sick fish alone. It's also well documented that pike are cannibalistic, and up to 20% of their diet is smaller pike, so taking out the big ones to preserve fish stocks is kind of counter-productive! But they're masters of camouflage, and difficult to spot in, or against a weedy background. Any fish that comes within range and is targeted, has only a very slim chance of survival.

The owner of a local put and take a couple of years ago put 2000 X 4" pike into his lake to get rid of the sticklebacks which were eating all the daphnia, etc. His reckoning was that they would hoover up the spiny tiddlers, and then the largest and most successful would turn on their brothers, and eventually he'd end up with one or two medium size pike which would eventually fall to the fishermen.

A common attitude unfortunatly and one that was until recently, regularly demonstrated by a very well known match angler fishing practice sessions on Egbaston Resevior.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.