LEAD FREE FISHING SINKERS TO MAKE AT HOME

Perkons

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not my cup'a tea I'm afraid. I'd prefer to drill a few stones and araldite a swivel in it. If I didn't want to touch lead then I'd get the plastic coated weights.

That's just what I do too Tigger, a bit of faffing around but they do work :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Whats wrong with touching lead :crazy:

There's nothing wrong with touching lead if you remember to wash your hands before eating.

It's a problem for kids who fish because it's hard to get them to remember not to eat potato chips while handling fishing tackle.

I just prefer not to deal with lead at all and aside from that, I just hate spending money on sinkers which just get snagged on the jetty rogs, especially when fishing for togs here in New Jersey.

Perkons

I think the 'touching lead' was a mild wind-up (UK speak for yanking your chain).

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Nothin at all I've drank enough water through lead pipes and it's done me no harm :wacko::blink:

As this lead replacement device is aimed at kids,(not as targets ;) ) I think this will be of interest.

Exposure to lead in housing poses a significant health risk to young children. Lead is a heavy metal used in many materials and products. When absorbed into the body, it is highly toxic to many organs and systems and seriously hinders the body's neurological development. Lead is most harmful to children under age six because it is easily absorbed into their growing bodies and interferes with the developing brain and other organs and systems. Pregnant women and women of child-bearing age are also at increased risk, because lead ingested by the mother can cross the placenta and affect the unborn fetus.

Tigger, it may be to late, the damage has already been done. :D:o

Guest tigger

I know it's easy to just start ripping someones idea to bits but I imagine the reason this has been posted is for feedback on it.

If you tried to use this type of weight in running water then due to it's size and make I think the current would catch it and lift it off the bottm (drag it round to the bank)

I would imagine your hook would be constantly bedding into it and every time you cast out you would be wondering if you were hooked up to it .

If you were fishing a still water and lost a few, people would soon get annoyed if they keep snagging on them or dragging them in.

It would leak water all over your tackle box after use. I could go on but those are just some points why I don't think the idea will work well.

At the end of the day that's JMO.

Metallic lead at room temperature is safe to handle. Lead is dangerous by inhalation when finely divided (dust) or heated (vapour). There aren't going to be dangerous residues left on the hands after handling a lead weight.

• 3 months later...
They would also come in handy if your river or lake is about to burst its banks :P

Seriously though, interesting idea.

Useless with sewing machine. UMMM.. a problem.

Do you have some old shirts around that you are throwing out?

Cut off the long strip in front that holds the buttons and also the one with the buttonholes.

Now you have two hollow fabric tubes.

Cut into sinker lengths, tie off bottom, fill with sand, tie off top and attach to line.

It works!

Perkons-