golden mile

hastfish

Last year a semi commercial mate of mine who has spent a long time fishing the race, discussed the bass mls with me. When it was suggested to increase the mls, he was shocked, what for he told me the 36cm fish are the bread and butter, without them we wouldn't survive.

Hello Barry

Probably because the abundant 2002 year class were all around 36cm at that time, hopefully they will now be 40 to 45cm.

I normanly move away from small fish like that when line fishing, they just take to long to fill a box.

But then I'm not a semi commercial.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Barry

Probably because the abundant 2002 year class were all around 36cm at that time, hopefully they will now be 40 to 45cm.

I normanly move away from small fish like that when line fishing, they just take to long to fill a box.

But then I'm not a semi commercial.

Morning Wurzel, that is good news then, the next time i'm down there drifting at two to three knots i can look forward to some larger ones then, might even take a couple home.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Last year a semi commercial mate of mine who has spent a long time fishing the race, discussed the bass mls with me. When it was suggested to increase the mls, he was shocked, what for he told me the 36cm fish are the bread and butter, without them we wouldn't survive.

Hi Barry

Perhaps your mate is not telling you all, or he might not known as much as the commercials.

For large bass you need to fish the spring tides, you also might need a whole mackerel and two pound of lead and only drop at the top of the bank so as to get down behind the bank, where the big bass get.

As you known Portland race can get choppy it is not for the faint hearted on the spring tides you got to get right in there, not tickle at the edges where its calmer.

If he is only fishing the neap tides then he like the commercials will only catch mostly small bass

Even on the spring tides when the tide falls to about 2 knots in strengh, the big bass tend to go off the feed

steve

Edited by steve good

Hi Barry

Perhaps your mate is not telling you all, or he might not known as much as the commercials.

For large bass you need to fish the spring tides, you also might need a whole mackerel and two pound of lead and only drop at the top of the bank so as to get down behind the bank, where the big bass get

If he is only fishing the neap tides then he like the commercials will only catch mostly small bass

steve

Hi Steve, i don't rely on the race for me big bass, i do have fun elsewere for the larger bass with live mackerel bait and launce. I certainly wouldn't use two pound lead in the race unless wire is used and an electric winch. B) He does swing both ways, fishing commercial boats and angling, he is a good skipper honest. I don't take all that is being told to me as gospel so he might well have tried slipping a porkie in. Thanks.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

most of our bass is caught as a by catch,we have a few boats that drift them and most of their catch is smaller ones .they are snapped up localy and fetch a good price .the larger ones are only wanted by a few resturants,and they only want a few the others go to france and they dont make the money,they have boats targeting bass constantly,so our prices are kept low. the public has set the standard they want, tv cooking shows use farmed bass or small fillets,look in your local super store ,bass from greece, easy to cook,convenient size,moderatley priced.so at least we take a cross section of the stock.but i will admit that the way things are going with cods more boats may choose to target them,were not really a bass fishery, eastbourne is, they seem to corner the market and do catch a large number of them.small and large alike and alot of them are line caught. the public also need to learn more about fish preperation and not just by fish prepared for the pan or barbie.

most of our bass is caught as a by catch

Yep, mine to; among the pout, pin whiting, sea scorpions, rockling and the odd dog.

That being about all you boys leave us along the shoreline.

a few boats that drift them and most of their catch is smaller ones

OK, so how about proper labelling on them for wet-fish sellers and restaurants -

'THESE FISH ARE IMMATURE FISH WHICH HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM THE MARINE FOOD WEB BEFORE THEY HAVE SPAWNED EVEN ONCE.'

Yep, that should help the consumer educational process and leave the purchaser with a clearer idea about what they are eating.

<_<

sussex regs are1.5 mt below the water at any state of tide,and that is a fair way out for our boats we also have ski buoys,that we have to be back of with nets,not pots.most of the time in our area its parttimers,hobby boats that try to push this and never seem to get tugged by the fisheries as there out and back before there finished checking us.

Hi hastfish, this byelaw is for the months may to september only the rest of the time the beaches can be netted up to the high water mark, it was put in because of the game anglers ie, sea trout i think? anyway its for fixed nets not for drifting, trawling, sein, etc, fwiw its a crap byelaw imo. the golden mile would be good for both commercials and anglers down south, even if it does not provide one extra fish for the beach anglers? atleast commercials and hobby netters wont be getting the blame for it as they do now, so much. it could even repair the damage that has been done with the overall relations between the two and lead to better understandings etc, so what you got to lose hastfish? as far as i see it you and the other commercials in this area have a chance to gain from it.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Hi hastfish, this byelaw is for the months may to september only the rest of the time the beaches can be netted up to the high water mark, it was put in because of the game anglers ie, sea trout i think? anyway its for fixed nets not for drifting, trawling, sein, etc, fwiw its a crap byelaw imo.

Nearly all byelaws created by Sea Fisheries Committees prohibit certain activities at certain times and under certain conditions etc.

However ALL fixed netting within 6 miles is prohibited, not by SFC byelaw, but by act of Parliament (Salmon & Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975). (This is meant to protect runs of salmon and trout which move close to the coast high in the water column).

What SFCs can do, is to create a byelaw which overrules the act, permitting the use of fixed nets at certain times and under certain conditions etc. so that they are unlikely to interfere with the runs of salmon and trout (that's why the byelaws state the depth of the headrope, to allow salmon and trout to pass over the top)

These are called 'enabling byelaws'.

There's often much confusion over this with claims that SFC byelaws prevent fixed nets.

They don't.

They allow the setting of fixed nets (which would otherwise be illegal under Government legislation).

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

most of our bass is caught as a by catch,we have a few boats that drift them and most of their catch is smaller ones .they are snapped up localy and fetch a good price .the larger ones are only wanted by a few resturants,and they only want a few the others go to france and they dont make the money,they have boats targeting bass constantly,so our prices are kept low. the public has set the standard they want, tv cooking shows use farmed bass or small fillets,look in your local super store ,bass from greece, easy to cook,convenient size,moderatley priced.so at least we take a cross section of the stock.but i will admit that the way things are going with cods more boats may choose to target them,were not really a bass fishery, eastbourne is, they seem to corner the market and do catch a large number of them.small and large alike and alot of them are line caught. the public also need to learn more about fish preperation and not just by fish prepared for the pan or barbie.

Hi hastfish, eastbourne was once a good place for bass but that was many years ago, and i am not on about those immature schoolies that you and eastbournes dole fiddling rod and line boys catch either, cheers..........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Hi hastfish, eastbourne was once a good place for bass but that was many years ago, and i am not on about those immature schoolies that you and eastbournes dole fiddling rod and line boys catch either, cheers..........

Are these dole fiddling rod and liners and the black selling of the stock, linked?