Carp Rods

Elton

Posted on behalf of Donn2. Please add all replies to this thread:

I would like to ask the forum would a 1.5 test curve rod be ok to handle low double figure carp and what breaking strain would you use? Or would it be better to invest in a 2.75 test curve rod instead?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Posted on behalf of Donn2. Please add all replies to this thread:

Personally .. I wouldn't. What's the maximum line that rod can handle in terms of breaking strain?

I tend to use 10lb line coupled to a 2.5lb TC carp rod, especially if I know theres a double figure carp around. I would guess that a 1.5lb TC would result in you having to play the fish for a very long time, and very gently, as I would suspect the rod wouldn't be able to handle a double figure strength line.

I'm not from the 'oik it in brigade, but I also think it's unncessary to play fish too long as it can spook other fish in the area.

Isn't the test curve of the rod governed more by how far you need to cast and with what weight of lead/pva bag? I've had plenty of low double figure carp on my 1.5lb barbel rod and it's handled them perfectly well. I use 12lb mono mainline with a 10lb braid hooklength. I probably never need to cast more than about 30-40 yds on the waters I fish, or use weights in excess of 2oz. A 1.5lb rod is fine for that.

Isn't the test curve of the rod governed more by how far you need to cast and with what weight of lead/pva bag? I've had plenty of low double figure carp on my 1.5lb barbel rod and it's handled them perfectly well. I use 12lb mono mainline with a 10lb braid hooklength. I probably never need to cast more than about 30-40 yds on the waters I fish, or use weights in excess of 2oz. A 1.5lb rod is fine for that.

Yes, absolutely. A 1.5lb tc rod will handle most carp except in difficult or snaggy situations. Look at the size of carp caught from Redmire in the 50s-70s - they weren't on heavy rods.

The fashion is for very heavy gear these days, but it's not a necessity.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Most 1.5tc rods will be ok for carp into low double figures with say 6-8lb hook length in an open snag free swim.

Its also true that some good sized fish (carp, pike and salmon spring to mind) have been landed by anglers on light tackle over the years. However that doesn't mean its a good idea to target fish in this way, as it can lead to fish being damaged or even killed having been left trailing tackle or having been played out to beyond the point of recovery.

Another point is that the tc of a rod is a measure of how much weight is required to pull the tip down by 90 degrees and not the amount of back bone it has got. Therefore rods with the same tc can vary a lot in their ability to haul fish in. An good example of this can be seen with my Greys specimen rods, that come with two tops. Which ever top i put on the rod seems to have the same amount of back bone when playing fish, just a softer tip. On an open water with no snags these rods are powerful enough to land carp up to about 20lb as they're quite happy with 10 or even 12lb hook lengths.

If you are lucky enough to land a big fish on light tackle having played it out or any fish that has fought hard, its always a good idea to give them a minute or two in the landing net in the water before you lift them out. Then try not to mess about on the bank any more then necessary and try to remember weighing and photos aren't always necessary.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I think that a key consideration to the question has to be the conditions at the time of fishing. If you are in clear snag free water then you can handle big fish comfortably on lighter tackle but at the other end of the spectrum it would not be a good idea to use that same tackle up against snags. I think too much attention is placed on the test curve as you could get half a dozen rods of say 23/4 lb each behaving completely differently. My own examples of this is compairing my 23/4 lb Ballistas to my 23/4lb Amorphous's. Chalk and cheese in terms of action. Having said that, it was not that many years ago when I was using 13/4 TC rods as my standard Carp gear. The other thing that comes into the equation is distance fished. In my own case I use the Daiwas for distance and the Ballistas for close to medium range. I personally love to use the Ballistas as they are soft, dependable and have a lovely fish playing ability. Others will have a preference for something different. There is a huge choice and most people will swear by a particular type or brand but in reality and in my own opinion the final choice depends on the type of water fished, how you fish and what your expectations are. One mans meat is another mans poison. If possible, try several until you find one that feels right for you.

Yer I would say that 1.5lb TC would be fine for low doubles. I've spoke to people who have had many low to medium double carp on their 1.5lb TC rod and they have said that it was excellant!!!!

Dan.

I'm not really a fisherman, I just like to think I am.

a chap showed me a picture today one of our carp ,he landed it on a float rod and 3lb line ,16lb ,its not the rod but the holder ;)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson