quality of tackle

Darren T

I am trying not to get too hung up on spending large sums on my initial tackle, knowing that you can get some great kit at excellent prices. However i have been looking thhrough the 2008 gear guide that came with my IYCF and spotted the new Shakesphere reels, which look like they could be good and the match 1,2 & 3 reels were appearntly best sellers last year,w ith the new ones being the revamped versions.

i suppose the question is, in the long term would it just be better getting a shimano reel on the basis that while it might have a few less bearings, they are superior quality and so are properly sealed? or do you think it really doesnt matter?

Personally, I would go with an Okuma reel. They have different reels that are for all situations and are a perfect compromise between cost and quality. I have one of the Okuma Interceptor reels and it is easily as good as a shimano :D

p.s. I am not affiliated with Okuma in any way!! Just a happy customer :P

Although I don't own any Okumas I have also heard from some good anglers that they are really superb reels; (NB. and a lot cheaper than the shimanos that I use).

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Go to http://www.trevs-tackle.com/

At just £10, that Okuma Silvara carp reel has got to be worth a try!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Personally, I would go with an Okuma reel. They have different reels that are for all situations and are a perfect compromise between cost and quality. I have one of the Okuma Interceptor reels and it is easily as good as a shimano :D

p.s. I am not affiliated with Okuma in any way!! Just a happy customer :P

Yer I'm the same as Ollie, I have got an Okuma Interceptor and have been extremely happy with it ever since I have had it. Not one problem with it and half the price of other reels in the same area as that one.

Tight Lines,

Dan.

I'm not really a fisherman, I just like to think I am.

Shimano reels are great :D but I do believe that Okuma actually make a lot of reels for other Brands to label and sell, so they must be of a good quality. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. I have only ever had one for beachcasting and it still works. :D

i'd love to get my hands on a few similar specced reels from different companies and strip thme down to see just how much is the same. the thing i am thinking about primarily are the bearings, shmano have their special ones that are "like" two or more standard ones and are weather proof etc. i wonder how many other reels use exactly the same bearings.

Nearly all the reels I use are Shimanos and I have no complaints about any of them. The baitrunners are great reels as is my Aero Match. But the fish don't know that you're using a reel that cost you £100, if you're fishing at close range especially, a reel in lower price range will do you just fine.

I've heard good things about these Okumas too.

I would say the one thing to check out would be the clutch. You need a responsive clutch, theres nothing worse than losing a good fish due to a sticky clutch. Look at the line lay too..

I'm another "happy customer" when it comes to Okumas; I use Okuma Avenger baitfeeders, and I am very pleased with them. Many other anglers I've spoken with have also been very happy with their Okumas, so I think they would be a very good quality for the price. Shimanos are excellent reels, but, if you're concerned about price, seriously consider the Okumas.

As for ball bearings: I often use almost exclusively antiques (old Mitchells, Records, Cardinals, etc.), and none of these have ANY ball-bearings, and work just as well or better than the reels that DO have them! I say the fewer bearings and other "whistles and bells," the better. They're just more things that can get dirty and break.

i use 4 okuma baitfeeder 50 reels good reel + a 5 year warranty.

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif