rowing boats

barrowlad

Then after 8 years and several survival courses you should know better.

Personally all I had was 18 years on the rigs and 15 years teaching sea survival and rescue techniques to the standby industry so what do I know.

If you go on the water with a 65n buoyancy aid instead of a life jacket it's your funeral.

its right there above this sentence ;) perhaps you should start reading your own posts :rolleyes:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be too quick to write off the kayak idea. One major problem you'll find with a "proper" boat in the Lakes is finding places to launch. Unless you are happy to fork out the ludicrous fees for the official launch ramps it usually means "bending the rules" a bit.

The lakes you mentioned, Bassenthwaite and Derwentwater are easy to launch onto, For 'Bass' go to Peel Wyke near the Pheasant Inn just off the A66 in the north western corner of the lake. You can buy a permit in the Inn, its residential so there is always somone on duty at reception, It did cost around fiver, and that covers your fishing too, may have gone up this year but probably wont be much, I get a season ticker from 'Santa' every year so don't have to worry about daily fees. Peel Wyke is s small harbour which used to hold clinker built boats which could be hired bt the day from Egremont estates. Easy launching down a slipway, and a car park which is rarley full, better than they we have never had problem with it. You can use an electric motor.

This is our boat at Peel Wyke. The cuddy does give some 'blowin about' problems, however its worth it for the cover, it rains here every day! that's how come we have so much water.

orca.jpg

For Derwent water go to 'Nichol End' marina (marinas signposted from the A66 at Portinscale) you have to pay of course but its not much. Easy launching down a gravel beach and piers to tie up to. You can use a petrol engine.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

ive a ten foot sniper and having been out in it i wouldnt venture out in rough weather on the larger lakes near you to be honest, and yes it is moderatly easy to car top but you may need to add some 2x2 to the roof bars as it is wider than the bars i have

might not be much use to you but a thread about the sniper

http://www.totalcoarsefishing.com/cgi-bin/...um=1220038135/0

Thanks Emma and Noodle some great info there,emma is it only electric moters on bass and if so are they powerfull enough for a boat your size?and if you dont mind whats the piking like during winter on these lakes is it all dead baits or does the lure still take fish as this is my prefered method ,again thanks Rob.

forgot to add the ten foot is rated (ive been led to believe to six horsepower size engines)

i have an old but good seagull kingfisher and a 33lb electric so far i have only needed the electric to get me about

Emma, looks just like one I used to have. That's about as big as I can comfortably launch and retrieve single-handed. The only problem I had was because the hull had no "keel shape" moulded into it, like Orkney Longliners have, so when trolling in wind it went all over the place. I found it tracked a bit better if I put a big livebait bucket full of water up the front end (sorry, the bow oo-aarr). My mates longliner was better behaved but just way too big for dragging in and out.

Thanks Emma and Noodle some great info there,emma is it only electric moters on bass and if so are they powerfull enough for a boat your size?and if you dont mind whats the piking like during winter on these lakes is it all dead baits or does the lure still take fish as this is my prefered method ,again thanks Rob.

We manage fine on Bass with the electrics. Sometimes it's a slow haul from one area to the other, but we just troll along as so are still fishing.

Lures are my favourite too, and winter is slow going. December to March, I find so difficult, maybe it's simply because I'm not a good enough Pike angler, yet at any other time of year I rarely blank, even on the last two hours of light summer evening sessions from the bank (lures) which I love. When lots of people are gearing up for what they consider as the start of Piking, we wind down to sit the winter out. Anyone out who recons that they know how to successfully tackle the lakes in winter is very welcome to tell :)

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Emma, looks just like one I used to have. That's about as big as I can comfortably launch and retrieve single-handed. The only problem I had was because the hull had no "keel shape" moulded into it, like Orkney Longliners have, so when trolling in wind it went all over the place. I found it tracked a bit better if I put a big livebait bucket full of water up the front end (sorry, the bow oo-aarr). My mates longliner was better behaved but just way too big for dragging in and out.

Thanks for the tip. I will try using weights 'up front' to see if it helps stability/

We manage fine on Bass with the electrics. Sometimes it's a slow haul from one area to the other, but we just troll along as so are still fishing.

Lures are my favourite too, and winter is slow going. December to March, I find so difficult, maybe it's simply because I'm not a good enough Pike angler, yet at any other time of year I rarely blank, even on the last two hours of light summer evening sessions from the bank (lures) which I love. When lots of people are gearing up for what they consider as the start of Piking, we wind down to sit the winter out. Anyone out who recons that they know how to successfully tackle the lakes in winter is very welcome to tell :)

with bait rods thermals and the kettle hiding behind a brolly :D

with bait rods thermals and the kettle hiding behind a brolly :D

Yes but where to put the baits? that's the thing, for me at least the Pike (and Perch) seem to fade away as winter draws in.