Hemp

J.K

Hi all,

Had a go at cooking my own hemp today using the boiling water and flask method. For the hemp to be ready should all the hemp be cracked open ?

At present some of the hemp has cracked open but not all. Its been approx 5 hours and re boiled the water half way through.

Is there anything I should know about freezing it ? Moisture levels etc ?

Thank you

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

I put a mug full of hemp in a1 litre flask, top up with boiling water & leave overnight.

Some people add bicarb to blacken it but I dont bother.

I freeze & refreeze it loads of times & its fine, makes it better if anything in my opinion.

JK , the hemp doesn't have to open up completely , just soften . The main reason anglers wanted it split was so that it could be hookable . A lot of fisherman now use artificial hemp on the hook and feed the real stuff .

:D I just boil it for use as loose feed some open up some don't. :bounce: I boil it in large quantities then sieve it off and bag it into session sized portions. I throw the bags into the freezer :cold: and take them out as needed. :fishing: This works for me and means im only preparing hemp say once a month or two and not every week :bicycle:

I like to plunge an small electric wand type blender into the cooked hemp a few times to release som of the juices. I then mix in a few micro pellets that swell in the liquid. Makes a lovely milky/oily cloud in the water to attract fish.

After you have been fishing if you are re-freezing your hemp pour the liquid into a plastic bottle and stick that in the freezer as well. Its great for either using to mix groundbait or making up paste as it as a lot of the oil from the hemp in it.

I only cook my hemp one way now, in a pressure cooker.

I fill it up half full with hemp (not to full because hemp expands) cover with cold water bring to the boil so the pressure cooker just starts to hiss (Let out steem).

Then turn off and let it stand until cool. For me the hemp is prefect for feed and for the hook.

When hooking hemp I use the through the stalk base method as it stays on well and sometimes you can catch more than one fish on a grain.

Smile they said life could get worse, I did and it was

Don't forget to keep the water you've boiled the hemp in and use it for mixing groundbait :thumbs:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

After you have been fishing if you are re-freezing your hemp pour the liquid into a plastic bottle and stick that in the freezer as well. Its great for either using to mix groundbait or making up paste as it as a lot of the oil from the hemp in it.

Or for the Expanda Pellets if you use them. :D