Is float fishing for kids and old men?

fruitloopy

Anna - on the flip side, we all have the bass anglers to thank for the growing popularity of catch & release and there is more awareness amoung those folks that large fish numbers aren't unlimited than with most others.

All the major pred species that are regularly targeted with lures have benefited from the popularity and tourney practices of the Bass guys.

Carp benefit from their unpopularity as a sporting species. Bream, Crappie, Perch reproduce fast enough to not be in danger. Speciman catfish, gar, and a few others may be in trouble and largely because they never had a champion like Ray Scott. From a Wiki article about BASS (Bass Anglers Sportsmen Society)

History

The B.A.S.S Federation was founded by Ray Scott in 1967 in Montgomery, Alabama. His goals were to create a credible and honorable tournament trial and to improve our environment by unifying ourselves with youth. This federation has accomplished many goals over the years, which brought many of its members to the federation. During the years of 1972, the B.A.S.S. Federation initiated a program called "Don't kill your catch." This program proclaims that you, as a fisherman, should catch then release your catch. Since the year 1968, the B.A.S.S. Federation has ben very involved with all local, state, and national conservation issues. The majority of all Ray Scott's goals were directed towards protecting our natural resources.

Bassers - annoying, certainly; snooty, absolutely; useful, very.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anna - on the flip side, we all have the bass anglers to thank for the growing popularity of catch & release and there is more awareness amoung those folks that large fish numbers aren't unlimited than with most others.

All the major pred species that are regularly targeted with lures have benefited from the popularity and tourney practices of the Bass guys.

Carp benefit from their unpopularity as a sporting species. Bream, Crappie, Perch reproduce fast enough to not be in danger. Speciman catfish, gar, and a few others may be in trouble and largely because they never had a champion like Ray Scott. From a Wiki article about BASS (Bass Anglers Sportsmen Society)

Bassers - annoying, certainly; snooty, absolutely; useful, very.

I suppose that having to deal with them day after day wears on one. Some Bass guys I know are OK, as I said, but I get so sick of most of the ones I know, whining about the DNR and other fishermen and just about every other fish species in existance that I sometimes feel like I just want to kick them out of the store. Perhaps if I didn't work in a shop like ours I might feel differently - or maybe it's just Michigan Bass-boys. :huh:

I suspect, Anna, that some of your bass anglers are similar to some of our single species anglers. We do have a strata of such anglers who see those who fish for other species as being lesser mortals, their chosen species nothing less than nuisance/trash fish. They even condemn those within their own ranks who choose to use the 'wrong' make of reel, or wear the wrong pattern of jacket for example! Single species, one trick dogs do seem to have a problem with others.

I was taught how to fish by my father and big brother and float fishing was all I knew.

Recently, after a break of about 20 years I got back into it again and because fishing on the float is still all I know (although I am learning new ways such as ledgering, method, etc) but I am mostly still float fishing.

Its probably because I enjoy it so much and, combined with the nostalgia of my youth, I find it much more exciting than freezing my arse off in a bivvy waiting all weekend for a extremely overweight carp.

While I can respect their chosen way of fishing it seems like I am treated as a beginner or just simple minded because I dont have a transit van filled to the brim with barrows, groundbait, bait boats and miscellaneous equipment costing a second mortgage.

I sat 2 pegs down from a bivvy botherer last Saturday. He had all the equipment and three lines in the water, all on alarms and thrown in the middle while I was fishing the margins. I didnt see much of him all day as he was in his bivvy. I caught 14 lovely buggers, Dace, Roach, Golden Tench, common and mirror carp. All ranging in size and weight from under a pound to an 8lb mirror. It was a bit nerve racking bringing this in on a 2.4lb line though!

The guy next to me got nothing.

So why do I feel like a junior angler or a loser when I go into a tackle shop? Why is there a smile on the face of the guy behind me when I buy a day ticket for the smaller lake. The lake itself is described as "Good for youngsters or people learning their craft".

Am I being too sensitive about this or their an invisible divide between us?

Has anyone else experienced this out there?

If this is an old question then I apologise, I am new to the forum.

Show me someone who thinks they know everything...

I'll show you a fool...

Leave the area you fish... cleaner than it was before you got there !!!!

Hi Fruitloopy... I grew up in England and learned to fish there. I now reside in California. The fishing techniques in England have changed so much in the last 25 years... Do what makes you feel comfortable... and what is fun to you. Catching fish is the idea so I use whatever method is appropriate for the weather condtions... depth of water and species I am fishing for. But... whenever possible I love to use a float... because it's what my Dad taught me... speaking for myself there was nothing like watching the big peacock quill lay flat on it's side and then draw circles in the water before it decided to run in a certain direction... It was and still is for me one of the most exciting things in fishing. Everytime it happens I'm right there with me Da... and I can see that smile on his face. After a quiet day when you haven't had a bite and your getting weary... and you think you saw your float move but you start telling yourself you were mistaken and then it sails away... W O W... what a wonderful feeling...

Good luck mate... one thing to keep in mind... progress is great... but some of the old ways of doing things are still the best.

God Bless

Rob J

Palm Srpings Ca.

Show me someone who thinks they know everything...

I'll show you a fool...

Leave the area you fish... cleaner than it was before you got there !!!!

I was taught how to fish by my father and big brother and float fishing was all I knew.

Recently, after a break of about 20 years I got back into it again and because fishing on the float is still all I know (although I am learning new ways such as ledgering, method, etc) but I am mostly still float fishing.

Its probably because I enjoy it so much and, combined with the nostalgia of my youth, I find it much more exciting than freezing my arse off in a bivvy waiting all weekend for a extremely overweight carp.

While I can respect their chosen way of fishing it seems like I am treated as a beginner or just simple minded because I dont have a transit van filled to the brim with barrows, groundbait, bait boats and miscellaneous equipment costing a second mortgage.

I sat 2 pegs down from a bivvy botherer last Saturday. He had all the equipment and three lines in the water, all on alarms and thrown in the middle while I was fishing the margins. I didnt see much of him all day as he was in his bivvy. I caught 14 lovely buggers, Dace, Roach, Golden Tench, common and mirror carp. All ranging in size and weight from under a pound to an 8lb mirror. It was a bit nerve racking bringing this in on a 2.4lb line though!

The guy next to me got nothing.

So why do I feel like a junior angler or a loser when I go into a tackle shop? Why is there a smile on the face of the guy behind me when I buy a day ticket for the smaller lake. The lake itself is described as "Good for youngsters or people learning their craft".

Am I being too sensitive about this or their an invisible divide between us?

Has anyone else experienced this out there?

If this is an old question then I apologise, I am new to the forum.

The way i see it Fruitloopy is catching a double figure carp has to be the easiest double figure fish to catch in English fresh water. Sitting in a bivie with Strong rods on alarms has to be the least challenging and skillful way to catch a carp. Most carp anglers have worked very little out for them selves, just merely follow the fashion and fish on stocked waters. Hardly what i would describe as Superior anglers.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

At the end of the day, fishing should be all about fun and each angler may have a different view of what is fun.

Rude behavior is bad but I doubt if any one group of anglers has a lock on bad manners.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

At the end of the day, fishing should be all about fun and each angler may have a different view of what is fun.

A quote from Dick Walker, holder of the British carp record in the days when it meant something

"Happy is the man that fishes to please himself, and not to astonish others"

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I suspect, Anna, that some of your bass anglers are similar to some of our single species anglers. We do have a strata of such anglers who see those who fish for other species as being lesser mortals, their chosen species nothing less than nuisance/trash fish. They even condemn those within their own ranks who choose to use the 'wrong' make of reel, or wear the wrong pattern of jacket for example! Single species, one trick dogs do seem to have a problem with others.

Also applies to techniques within 'species anglers'