Big bream

Anderoo

My previous notes on the subject with regards to braid show tangling as the only negative, any special knots required?

Also, is a large hook mandatory? Would you not still match hook size to bait, so say a 14 for sweetcorn? Or does the fact that the bait will be hair-rigged change that old guideline?

I actually had an idea for a new swimfeeder, I was going to call it the Trojan Feeder, maggot feeder on a flat method feeder...but it's almost been done (maggot feeder in the middle of a method feeder, Fox Maggot Method Feeder).

A grinner/uni at the swivel and knotless knot at the hook is completely solid, Angly. I think a palomar is also good, but I have never used that one. I would still match hook size to bait, but I do prefer a slightly oversize hook with a hair rig just to ensure it drops easily onto the bottom lip. The hooks I use a pretty heavy, which also helps.

I personally wouldn't go below a 10, and a heavy guage one at that. I used a 10 for all my tench fishing last year, with 2 fake maggots on the hair. It looks a bit silly and obvious on the bank, but drop it in the margins and it melts away, and as soon as it's sucked in, the fish is nailed.

If it works on tench, I'm more than happy to use it for bream!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting.

I actually got the size 14 idea from Martin Bowlers video with the inline feeder conversion for tench, but I guess hook-wise the larger the better as long as it doesn't reduce bites from the target species.

Geoff

I think a palomar is also good, but I have never used that one.

I use almost nothing else! I can never remember how to tie a grinner but the palomar is so easy and so strong its brilliant!

Rich

I can never remember which knot I use, I'll have to look...yup, palomar. In fact I think I now only use four knots:

Palomar: line to eyes

Knotless: line to some hooks (hair, middle treble etc.)

4-turn waterknot: Powergum stop knots, joining lines (paternoster etc.)

Overhand knot: Loop making

Geoff

Bolt rigs/method feeders need a lot heavier hook length than running rigs or float fishing. Sorry if thats a bit obvious, but i remember well the first time i fished the method feeder for good bream (up to low doubles). I started off with 5lb hook length and was getting seen off on the take so i upped it to 7lb and the same thing was happening. Luckily i had some 10lb braid hook length in my bag that i use for barbel, that worked and Ive used that ever since.

I was refering to the suppleness of the hook link incase anyone missunderstood.As Lutra says you cant use ultra short hook links in low breaking strain as they are simply "stretch" free and break against the feeder/lead.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Andrew B mentioned he didn't like the sinkbraid because it frayed. I haven't really noticed that, probably because the hooks I use blunt so easily I'm forever swapping hooklengths!

I ignored my stout siblings advice on this one and paid the price! My main problem with the braid fraying and breaking came from problems with eels and their teeth! I suppose I could carry on with it and just replace it after each eel but........

I ignored my stout siblings advice on this one and paid the price! My main problem with the braid fraying and breaking came from problems with eels and their teeth! I suppose I could carry on with it and just replace it after each eel but........

Yes, I guess it depends on what you use as bait. I don't use it with anything that an eel is likely to take, so it's rare (but not unknown!) for me to get an eel on it. If I ever use maggots or worms on the hook I always use a mono hooklength.

With my 'eel avoidance' measures last year I drastically reduced the number I caught - only something like half a dozen all year.

(I hope they've gone this year!)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

(I hope they've gone this year!)

Now wouldnt that be nice!!

Im still torn on my bait choice for this year due to the slimy buggers! Ive decided that any baiting with maggot/dead maggot is out of the question but wether I go the flake over feed or worm/corn cocktail over corn and accept the occaisional dork I dont know!

Im not worried about catching them as I quite like big eels,no worries handling them as Ive got my eel "mesmerising"/ wrestling skills well honed but I just think having them in the swim and catching them just disturbs the bream to much.

My main problem with the braid fraying and breaking came from problems with eels and their teeth! I suppose I could carry on with it and just replace it after each eel but........

Thats what I do, each eel means a new hooklength, that said I'm not as good at catching them as you :P

Rich