Closed season river backwaters?

JV44

Went out on the river Thames today and pleased to say i didnt see anyone fishing but when we came back to the marina there was a guy carp fishing off one of the islands in the marina.

The marina in question is a large gravel pit that is connected[strangely enough] to the thames and i told the guy i thought he was fishing out of season but he said not as it was a lake.

Lots of fish come into the marina to spawn off the river so what do you think guys was he fishing out of season or not?.

He is there all the time as he has the landowners permision to put a old shack on said island and moors a couple of small boats there so it wont be difficult to bubble him if this is the case just wondering as i doubt anyone manning the EA number on the weekend.

Any thoughts guys Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went out on the river Thames today and pleased to say i didnt see anyone fishing but when we came back to the marina there was a guy carp fishing off one of the islands in the marina.

The marina in question is a large gravel pit that is connected[strangely enough] to the thames and i told the guy i thought he was fishing out of season but he said not as it was a lake.

Lots of fish come into the marina to spawn off the river so what do you think guys was he fishing out of season or not?.

He is there all the time as he has the landowners permision to put a old shack on said island and moors a couple of small boats there so it wont be difficult to bubble him if this is the case just wondering as i doubt anyone manning the EA number on the weekend.

Any thoughts guys Steve.

Not totally sure on this but i beleive that waters such as this connected to a river are still subject to a close season.

As for contacting the EA all i can say is good luck,when i tried to report 2 guys fishing the kennet in the close seson last year i got the reply we only attend if there are 3 or more!

Any thoughts guys Steve.

Simple answer is phone the local EA office, ask for the fisheries officer that cover that area to give you a ring. He'll know whether the guy's fishing legally or not. Ferry Meadows in Peterborough has a similar situation no powered boats though on the pits.

phil h.

Not totally sure on this but i beleive that waters such as this connected to a river are still subject to a close season.

As for contacting the EA all i can say is good luck,when i tried to report 2 guys fishing the kennet in the close seson last year i got the reply we only attend if there are 3 or more!

I will speak to EA on monday for clarification but some guys have said that Sheperton marina was fished last year and that is the same set up ie connected to the Thames also Child beale lake at Pangbourne same scenario and that is fished in close season .

Just seems a bit crazy as a lot of river fish spawn in the marinas/connected lakes .

Reported a few last year for blatantly fishing the river dont know if my phone call helped but when we came back down the river they were gone Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I think he's probably OK. The closed season applies to "rivers or streams", which to me implies something which has flow. The marina water might rise and fall with the river level, but it can't be said to flow. The fact that carp move into the still water to spawn is just unfortunate for them. Always remember that fisheries laws were originally framed for the protection of trout and salmon, which do the opposite, swim out of a lake (or sea) up rivers and streams to spawn. I've always believed the main purpose of the coarse closed season is to get the great unwashed off the riverbanks when the trout season opens in mid March, by June the trout have been caught, so then they can let us back on again!

I would certainlky persue the clarification of this but I dont feel their is a need to hang the guy out even if he is wrong as this thread has proved what a grey area it is. If the EA were up to much they would not persecute the guy anyway but point out the ruling and try and ensure others on similar waters new as well.

When the new closed season rulings were first brought in there was a lot of confussion and grey areas then.Never been sorted out and its been a few years now.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I would certainlky persue the clarification of this but I dont feel their is a need to hang the guy out even if he is wrong as this thread has proved what a grey area it is. If the EA were up to much they would not persecute the guy anyway but point out the ruling and try and ensure others on similar waters new as well.

When the new closed season rulings were first brought in there was a lot of confussion and grey areas then.Never been sorted out and its been a few years now.

Fair enough just didnt want to abstain from dangling a line there myself if others were fishing it so if the EA say its ok when i get hold of them on Monday then game on.

Reason i posted as another mate who had a canal boat on a marina on the kennet same set up was told by EA guy no fishing but to be fair its only a small area compared to the ones on the Thames ie dug for the sole purpose of putting a few narrow boats on as opposed to great big gravel pits connected to the Thames or more likely that the EA just cant make there mind up hence the grey area Steve.

Ive always interpreted it as if its attached to running water ie marinas,back waters or the pit in your case its classed as running water still.

Thats the way i have interpreted as well,but as you say the whole issue is riddled with grey areas.

On the issue of purpose built marinas how does that make them different to pits connected to a river as re to the legality of fishing them?

Await the E.A.s response with intrest