SFCs & DEFRA don't give a TOSS

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

w urzel was right [cowboys] that is,nt how we make a living and we rarely catch birds and the like.a lot of these nets im sorry to say are put down by immigrants and the like after they stole them of the beach ,pots as well dissapear[lobster] and they dont worry about undersize;discards they eat it all.there are bylaws but they dont no them and they dont care annyway.sorry to upset any one but thats how it is very close to us.

Why dont you hastings commercial boys tell the sfc and get the stupid bylaw updated so that these cowboys wont bother to steel your gear and operate from the beach anymore, the bylaw about headroom depth is only in operation from may to september, it needs to be extended to all year round, i suggested it to the ssfc a couple of years ago and i got told to pretty much **** off, now if it came from a commercial it may be viewed differently? i think you will find most beach anglers would support it, cheers........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

So it gets washed out to sea killing more fish and other animals for years to come, now that is a clever move :rolleyes:

That is why I said cut ONE end rope. It won't get washed away but it will stop fishing, and if the sod doesn't check it within a few days it will be in the mother of all tangles due to the dead fish he's left in it.

GILL NETS

i think you will find most beach anglers would support it, cheers........

Like a ******* hole in the head we would.

Along the Hants and Dorset coasts, the bruddy things are set parallel to the beach, sometimes only 70 metres out (even along a Blue Flag swimming beach)!

I frequently have to walk 1/2 mile from where I live to find a space between them.

No netting within a mile of the shoreline for me, thank you!

:angry:

It's interesting that one of the posters on the other site was surprised at the number of fish caught in that net. He didn't think that nets were so effective......

40_bass_Tamar_net_Dec_07.jpg

seizedfish1.jpg

SeizedFish.jpg

All from illegally set nets in Devon and Cornwall and confiscated by the EA, who seem too take a more active approach than SFCs in some areas.

Edited by steve pitts

It's interesting that one of the posters on the other site was surprised at the number of fish caught in that net. He didn't think that nets were so effective......

40_bass_Tamar_net_Dec_07.jpg

seizedfish1.jpg

SeizedFish.jpg

All from illegally set nets in Devon and Cornwall and confiscated by the EA, who seem too take a more active approach than SFCs in some areas.

Hi Steve,

How long was the fleet of nets that these fish were caught in, were the nets fixed, were they standard gill nets or trammels, and do you know the mesh size.

This would be a fair catch from say 50 yards of nets but only a modest catch from say half a mile of nets.

Please Please check this out!

http://www.justgiving.com/tacyedewick?ref=

How long was the fleet of nets that these fish were caught in, were the nets fixed, were they standard gill nets or trammels, and do you know the mesh size.

Hi Sam

I don't know how long the fleets were and these pics were three seperate confiscations, but all were 'fixed engines' and removed under local bylaw infringement action.

The middle picture above is the catch from this net -

SeizedNets4.jpg

Maybe you could hazard a guess as to the length of netting and mesh size?

The EA in N. Wales seized these bass from an illegally set net in the Dee esturary a few of years ago

Deebasshaul.jpg

I think that the EA are far more likely to bring a prosecution where nets are set illegally and the case can be proven. Personally, I would ring them rather than trouble the SFC.......

EA 24 HOUR HOTLINE - 0800 80 70 60

Edited by steve pitts

Hi Sam

I don't know how long the fleets were and these pics were three seperate confiscations, but all were 'fixed engines' and removed under local bylaw infringement action.

SeizedNets4.jpg

The EA in N. Wales seized these bass from an illegally set net in the Dee esturary a few of years ago

Deebasshaul.jpg

I think that the EA are far more likely to bring a prosecution where nets are set illegally and the case can be proven. Personally, I would ring them rather than trouble the SFC.......

I make you right there Steve, where the EA have jurisdiction they are much more likely to enforce local buy laws than any SFC, not that I’m saying SFC are bias due to the amount of people with an interest in commercial fishing sitting on them.

As for the length of the fleets of nets its hard to say as they have been just bundled into the tub rather than flaked properly, I ges they were 90mil to 100 mil mesh.

Hi Sam

SeizedNets4.jpg

Deebasshaul.jpg

It doesnt look like the gear had been left long as the fish look farely fresh, if they had of been left long the crabs would have damaged the bass and made them worth less.

I wonder what happened to these fish, I hate to think they were wasted and died for nothing. It would be good if siezed fish like this could go to old peoples homes or other good courses free of charge.