atificial maggots

rmh

I was under the impression that all artificial baits were to target carp, as other fish hardly touch them... :g:

I was under the impression that all artificial baits were to target carp, as other fish hardly touch them... :g:

but roach on the feed will nail anything - more so than carp

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

are artificial maggots any good for roach.

I've found them very effective for roach, dace, chub on the Ribble. And bream and tench fishing on the meres of cheshire shropshire.

For river fishing it's important to get the fish on the feed first. When you get them feeding the minnows join them and you get burst maggots, then is the time you change over to artificials. Reds I find out fish the whites.

On the meres I use them over beds of maggots and they do the business and you know there's always going to be a bait on the hook even if you've got silver fish pecking at your hookbait.

phil h.

Artificial maggots?

Should be just the thing for those 'artificial' fisheries. :whistling::D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

We’re cynical lot us British anglers when it come to anything that isn’t real/live as a bait. Some years ago I went fishing the River Angara at Irkutsk in Siberia with a Russian friend for grayling with his tackle. The river’s massive, a good half a mile wide at Irkutsk as it leaves Lake Baikal, the flow is like nothing we’ve got in the UK.

On getting out in his boat in the flow he gets the rods out, 10 ft spinning type rods is the best way I can describe them. Then the floats, avon type, the size of a large livebait pike float, with an antenna and sight blob on the top. I smiled at these, thinking you expect a grayling to pull that thing under? The reels were Russian 6 inch centrepins. The weight was a bullet about 1 oz stopped by a swan shot either side.

Then the made up hook links, size 12 long-shank with a piece of Pink electrical tubing threaded up the shank.

He then drops the rig off the back of the boat and lets it go in the flow, within 20 seconds its 50 yards down the river and under it went, a grayling about 6 inches comes to the boat after a short fight. We caught grayling up to about 1.75 lbs for the two hours we were fishing. Taking a fish about every third or fourth trot down the river. We put no other bait in the water other than the pink tubed hooks.

He was a bit perplexed when I started to return the smaller fish shaking his head.

That night the four of us, him, me and our wives ate them cooked in dill with copious glasses of Baikal vodka and fishing tails of old. The rest were shared out amongst the neighbours in the apartment block.

My view after seeing the power of what I viewed as crude artificial bait, was don’t dismiss such baits out of hand.

I’ve since sent him several packets of artificial red maggots, rubber bloodworm and he tells me they are working well for grayling, rudd and crucian carp, as is sweetcorn which he’d never thought of using.

I also introduced him to waggler float fishing and match rods, which I took over with me and gave him when I left.

phil h.

I think its best to use these in combination with a live one, I.e. two on the hook. A red falsie on first with a live one second, that way if a little bugger nips the live one off you will still get a bite on the artificial one.

Hemp and caster as feed and 4 or 5 live maggots as freebies.

I have caught plenty of roach with this method, good size ones as well.