Tench fishing in April

Anderoo

Same as at Wingham.Shortly before Glynns first attempt it rose quite a bit and they seemed to swith on.Dont think that snow we had really killed it either! Might be light not temperature as thats one of their major spawning triggers as well?

ive been fishing a large gravel pit for the last 20 yrs, each year i start looking for tench and bream around the second week in feb .

caught fish when its snowing , frosty , mild. the best session i had was over 100lb of tench over 3 days with a heavy frost each night.

the only common factor has been length of daylight hours . weather this is a factor on all large lakes i cant say but certainly works for me .

catch ya later glyn

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck Mat, let us know how you get on!

I was planning a trip for the weekend after next, but I think I might hold on for a little bit, and wait for some milder weather. I wish I hadn't bought a load of lobs now... :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Mat , let us know how you got on at The Warren. CAA waters are closed till may 1st and i need to dust off the gear and get out on the bankside

Paul

Well I couldn't get on the Match lake until 1pm, as I found out it was closed for a working party when I arrived :( So I fished the main lake in the morning, and had some really nice roach (best one weighed 15oz)

Finally got fishing on the match lake at around 2pm as it was raining at 1pm :angry: slow to start, but I kept at it and ended the day with four tench, best 3:05, 2 bream, biggest 5:15 and another roach. All on red maggot.

but the fishing seemed quite slow all over, none of the carpers on the main lake seemed to be getting much action, and the other float anglers I could see on the main lake didn't seem to be catching much at all, just a few bits.

I reckon we need another week or two of decent temps to get the tench fully switched on!

Mat

Mat

hi anderoo,

i'd have to agree with that article...i fish a large thames valley pit which has been producing tench steadily for the last month......best i've seen on bank went 9:02..i had a 7:08 female.

it might be true on this particular pit that the fish are in tighter groups...i expect them to be caught from more swims as the season progresses

aren't they beautiful?.... :rolleyes:

tight lines <')Andy<

hi folks,

futrher to my previous posting i feel that the tench, on this pit at least, are responding to longer day light periods rather than absolute temperarures....

but u gotta have a bait in the water.

rgds <'))Andy<

I've put my session back a week - by then the temps will be much higher (especially at night) and the wind will be from the south rather than the east.

When you travel a long way for some fishing it makes sense to give yourself the best chance of a fish or two!

This will be the earliest in the year I've ever fished for tench, so it will be an interesting experience. It's probably too early for a really big fish, but hopefully I'll be lucky and find a group of lovely hungry tincas :)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

did a five day sesion last mon-fri and really stuggled , freezing overnight temps really dampened my spirits as well as the tenches appetites. only managed one fish all week , a nice one though at 7lb 12oz .

roadlaketench7lb12oz.jpg

going to go back and give the venue another crack in a weeks time hopefully the mercury will have risen by then ;)

Edited by BigKev

did a five day sesion last mon-fri and really stuggled , freezing overnight temps really dampened my spirits as well as the tenches appetites. only managed one fish all week , a nice one though at 7lb 12oz .

roadlaketench7lb12oz.jpg

going to go back and give the venue another crack in a weeks time hopefully the mercury will have risen by then ;)

Lovely tench Kev :thumbs: A good size for the time of year. Still, one fish in 5 days is a bit of a struggle, I'm glad I put my trip back a few days. In a week I reckon you'll start getting a few. A belting fish to start you off though!

Out of interest, what bait and rig was it on?

A good size for the time of year.

i was happy with it , apparently that tench wouldn't even raise eyeberows amongst the regulars :o

Out of interest, what bait and rig was it on?

i tried all week with a set up that i used last year but the fish weren't having any of it , i know it is effective if you get it right after having over 50 (5lb+) tench in 48 hrs!but the weather was a lot warmer then.

liquidised vitalin,parti-blend and maggot feeders with small helicopter hooklinks and rubber grubs on the hook.

but in the end desperation for a bite forced me into a lead core chod rig with a 10mm pineapple pop up blasted out to a long range spot that the feeders couldn't reach