Rod Buying Question

rarepleasures

One of the FAQs is what rod should I buy.

I got a Chapman's catalogue with this months edition of IYCF with dozen ranges of rods. The choice is overwhelming.

On top of this I've been told some manufacturers rebrand last years line with just a new name and livery and might even go so far as to place the rebranded model in an alternative price bracket.

Given all this how does one go about making an informed decision when buying a rod.

Tony

Youve been told correct Tony! Its a right old con.I think the best advice re rod choice is try as many as possible before you buy.

Even if that means having a day walking around a bust fishery seeing what others are using and asking for a quick feel...........er perhaps I should rephrase that! :unsure:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Youve been told correct Tony! Its a right old con.I think the best advice re rod choice is try as many as possible before you buy.

Even if that means having a day walking around a bust fishery seeing what others are using and asking for a quick feel...........er perhaps I should rephrase that! :unsure:

Carlsberg don't do fisheries - but if they did..........

Oh no! :o That was the Mother of all Typo's! for "Bust" please read "Busy"!!!!! Fraudian or what! :lol:

Yeah right, chinny reckon ! :whistling:

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Given all this how does one go about making an informed decision when buying a rod.

The best thing to do IMO is first decide what sort of rod you want (carp/feeder/match/whatever), then go down to your local tackle shop with the reel you will be using. Then ask the proprietor to show you a selection of the style of rod you want and try each of them with the reel attached.

And don't forget the used section, most tackle shops will have a good supply of rods there....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

The best thing to do IMO is first decide what sort of rod you want (carp/feeder/match/whatever)

Heres another source of confusion. Carp and Feeder I understand, but what are differences between a Match, a Float and Avon rod ?

Then ask the proprietor to show you a selection of the style of rod you want and try each of them with the reel attached.

And don't forget the used section, most tackle shops will have a good supply of rods there....

Unfortunately thats not true round here. The effect of mail order and fleabay has effectively killed the large item business of local tackle shop. I'm not sure my nearest one has any Match rods at all.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

I got a Chapman's catalogue with this months edition of IYCF with dozen ranges of rods. The choice is overwhelming.

On top of this I've been told some manufacturers rebrand last years line with just a new name and livery and might even go so far as to place the rebranded model in an alternative price bracket.

Hi Everyone... over the last few weeks, since becoming a member, I have been trying to catch up with & come to terms with, the enormous changes that have taken place with course fishing techniques and equipment.

When I left England in '79 I had a split cane rod with a fibreglass tip section (quite the thing at the time, let me tell ya) I caught everything on it from Roach, to Rudd ... to Bream, Perch and Tench, even the odd Pike once in a while. I also had a fibreglass rod which had two tip sections... One for ledgering (I don't think anyone just ledgers anymore, they use a feeder) and one for general float fishing.

I don't recall there being a rod for every purpose... and especially not for every species... (with the exception of Pike). I felt fortunate as a lad to have two rods... many kids on my street used a 'hand-line'. It would seem that if you fish for a variety of fish, according to the 'powers that be' you need a rod for each one of them.

Is this really necessary ? Are the tackle companies just shoving this one where the sun don't shine. It seems to me you would need to be made of money to just get yourself a basic set up. I checked out some prices the other day... (to be honest I wasn't very familiar with the company names, so I assumed the higher priced equipment to be of better quality) I know that's not always the case. Some of the gear was outrageous. As for the poles (weren't being used very much, if at all, in England in '79)... what they were asking for them was exorbitant, to say the least. I saw some that were literally thousands.

If as Tony suggests these companies are just switching the lables on the equipment, isn't that 'fraud' of some kind. Is anyone watching out for the consumer.

Sadly, I have not fished in England for a long time, but I cannot believe it is really necessary to have all of this equipment. OK it's nice to look

C O O L, but how does a youngster get into a sport that's getting so extremely expens ive... to say nothing of the overwhelming assortment

of tackle available. You need to be an expert before you even start and I think that's doing things backwards isn't it?

Let's hope that the 'Powers that be' that try to sell us all on the latest, greatest... gotta have this one deal... are making a 'rod for their own back' (Pardon the pun).

I feel very confident that if I was to climb into me Mums loft and dig out my old rod (yep... still got it) I'd be catching fish again very quickly. I might not be the coolest looking angler out there, but there would be fish in my keepnet.

Looks like I may have to work a few more years before returning home to retire... just to buy the tackle... to say nothing of the portable home (Bivvy) everyone seems to need in order to sit on the bank and look c o o l... or is it warm.

And I was so looking forward to retirement... Oh Well ! dry.gif

Rob J

Palm Springs Ca.

Edited by Rob J

Show me someone who thinks they know everything...

I'll show you a fool...

Leave the area you fish... cleaner than it was before you got there !!!!

I'll then go home and order it online for £10 cheaper lol

When there's that little difference I buy in the tackle shop. If they can't make the money on the rods they'll have to make it on the bait or sundries. If you want a local tackle shop you have to enable them to earn a living.

Tony