BEACH CASTING IN TOBAGO - WEST INDIES

novice fisherman

I've had 12lb tuna, 6lb tarpon, 15lb carp and 10lb pike on my shakespeare 30gm casting weight telescopic.

They're OK, for the money they're fine and as Newt says, they're better these days.

whatever light gear you take, if you geta 100lb leopard ray on the other end, you aint gonna land it with light gear.

the gear I suggested is for small stuff close in using the tactics I mentioned. If you're going after bigger stuff, it's time to think again.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have done it. Thanks for all the advise. I have just bought a Zebco 3 metre telescope rod, a Quantum energy 440 reel and some bits to go with these items. I went to a {not very helpful} tackle shop in Essex and in the end bought what was available there. Shortage of time prevented me going to another shop.

I am off to Tobago on Thursday, and am wondering about taking this rod as 'hand luggage' It collaspes to one metre and will not fit into my case. Because of airport security, I am hoping I will be able to carry it as 'hand luggage'.

Thanks for all the helpful advise.

ask the airline before you get there, and whatever you do make up a rod tube, a piece of plastic drainpipe cut to length will do at a push.

Bent rod rings when you get to your destination are no fun.

keep posting when you're there, I'd like to hear how you do.

and remember to go snorkling first before trying a new swim (though not in the harbour, you'll see nothing), it'll give you a clue as to where the fish are.

tight lines

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

A special thanks to Phil Dean, for his advise. I am off early tomorrow morning. I have spoken to the airline and there will be no problem carrying the rod as hand luggage. Your advise about the protecting the rod end is valuable. I will later on be fitting a protective tube to the end of the rod.

Will let you know whwn I catch my first 2 lb fish, or should I say my first 20 lb fish ~ we'll see. Thanks again.

Phil :cool: