BEACH CASTING IN TOBAGO - WEST INDIES

novice fisherman

I am a complete novice, never having done 'beach casting' before. I will be going to Tobago for about 6 months, and believe it would be a good place to do this type of fishing. My only experience with ANY type of fishing, was years ago, fishing from a boat. I would welcome advise on: 1. Types of rods, reels and other items necessary to do this type of fishing,{everything}. 2. Hints on how to go about doing 'beach casting' or the name of a good book on the subject. Thanks.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

novice fisherman:

I am a complete novice, never having done 'beach casting' before. I will be going to Tobago for about 6 months, and believe it would be a good place to do this type of fishing. My only experience with ANY type of fishing, was years ago, fishing from a boat. I would welcome advise on: 1. Types of rods, reels and other items necessary to do this type of fishing,{everything}. 2. Hints on how to go about doing 'beach casting' or the name of a good book on the subject. Thanks.

I have been watching this topic and think there are several reasons for the lack of response.

The subject is too big.

Not many people know the area that you will be fishing.

It also looks (sorry about this) that there is some kind of lead on to possible spam.

Having said the above, as an angler I would go there and follow the locals and expats in there choice of tackle, rigs etc then ask them for advice on the best place to buy, possibly another expat on his way home would part with his gear at a reasonable price.

A google search may come up with some help.

Good luck and tight lines.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Having talked with all my workmates that originate from those islands. They are of the opinion that casting from the shore will not be too productive? All the fishing boats (native) went over the reef boundaries before catching sizable fish? Of course `whitebait` can be caught with a `throw-net`.

But that is not what the poster wants to catch?

:confused: Paul. :confused:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

where abouts in tobago are you going, I have been there and can maybe give you some help if I know where you are, I've also fished from the shore with some success which, as is mentioned above, most people don't bother with, boat fishing can be incredibly rewarding out there, either bottom fishing near the edge of a reef or targetting dorado and kingfish further out.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

phil dean:

where abouts in tobago are you going, I have been there

Now thats funny, I had an email from the original poster asking what I meant about "possible spam", I have emailed him back with an answer and also suggested that he email Phil Dean or Vagabond as they have probably fished there. :)

I hope I have not offended the poster and put him off posting on AN :(

Alan(nl)

There are some rocks along the coast round there, I've talked to the kids, they tend to fish a light rod (take a shakespeare telescopic rod suitable for an 15 to 30 gramme lure they're cheep (about 30 quid) and will cope with the fish you're likely to get), using a fixed spool real ( acheaper end Okuma would be fine) loaded up with 15lb line. The fish aren't that big but they all have sharp teeth which will bite through anything less.

put a sliding ledger, about 1oz, on the line stopped with a ledger stop, then tie on a size 8 hook to the end. Beg borrow or steel some bits of fish from the local seine net fishermen (they throw their nets in the early morning), and that's your bait.

Fish near in to the rocks, there's no need for big casts, but you need to be fishing in 6' of water at least. There will be snapper in the rocks and they'll give you some fun.

Keep a fish at the end of the day to use as the next day's bait.

As said above, if you can get out in a boat do, but try and borrow the appropriate gear from the charterer.

(PS a good tip for finding where the fish are is going snorkeling along the rocks until you find them)>

Alan, why should anyone take offence mate? Hope your getting better. :D

TTFN

PHIL

[ 19. January 2004, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: phil dean ]

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Phil, Thank you for your advice. I shall work on this as you obviously have good local knowledge.

I will from time to time go out on a boat. {This I did only a few times, over 20 years ago. I have an old Mitchell 624 rod and other bits, but will have to relearn how to use them.} The beach casting will be very useful, as I feel I will be able to do this much more often. I don't expect I will pull in a big king fish from beach casting, but it would be nice. Thanks again.

phil dean:

a light rod (take a shakespeare telescopic rod suitable for an 15 to 30 gramme lure

Alan, why should anyone take offence mate? Hope your getting better. :D

TTFN

PHIL

I brought a Shakespear 5 piece medium action (6 to 12lb line) 6' 6" long and great fun I borrowed a ShimanoXK-P 1000 which was a perfect match to the rod but will be buying a slightly bigger reel (spool) in the spring. I was put off buying a telescopic rod in the shop as he reckons they break easily but there was a German that fished with me most days and he gave his some stick, kept getting snagged and had the rod doubled over.

Sounds as if he is going to have some fun.

As for being ill, to add to the other complaints I have torn a muscle in my back and it is agony :(

Still the Chinese New Year starts on the 22nd Jan so I will make a new start to my year then :D

Alan(nl)