Which shelter for day fishing

wotnobivvy

My trusty old brolley is coming to the end of it's life and I am considering a replacement. Currently I seem to be moving towards a shelter, to keep me and my kit dry. I have been looking at the Korum Day Session Shelter about £60, and the Tfgear Force 8 Day Shelter currently on offer for £49.99. Do any members have any experience of either. I am getting on a bit and need one that is fairly easy to put up AND take down. I would like actual experience, not pro/anti a particular manufacturer

Ta

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

See the "why use Bivvys" thread.

If your getting on a bit as you say, I'd get rid of your Avatar mate, it can't be doing you much good :D

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

See the "why use Bivvys" thread.

If your getting on a bit as you say, I'd get rid of your Avatar mate, it can't be doing you much good :D

Well you know what they say................you are only as young etc... ;)

Well you know what they say................you are only as young etc... ;)

The stuff they used to put in our tea in the Army in the late 40's is begining to work on me now :rolleyes:

Alan

Been thinking about this myself lately. The thing that puts me off a little is the size of the fairly flat area that is required. Using my brolly I only realy need a flatish area for my chair but surely a shelter needs a much larger area. Am I wrong!

I was hoping that a shelter could be pitched on a slope, as without a groundcheet it wouldn't matter too much. And the lack of a pole would be a plus for putting a chair in out of the rain

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I was hoping that a shelter could be pitched on a slope, as without a groundcheet it wouldn't matter too much. And the lack of a pole would be a plus for putting a chair in out of the rain

It sounds like my Pop a Bivvy would fit your bill nicely

http://www.archeryworld.co.uk/acatalog/Tents_Umbrella.html

Or http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/bivvy/index.htm

Alan

I can't comment on the two items you've mentioned as I've never used them.

However I can strongly recommend the Brotel De-Luxe. See my field test at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Tackle-And-Bai...tel_deluxe.html

It appears though it may have been discontinued. It's so frustrating when a really good bit of kit gets taken off the market. It deservedly won an award for best new product at a trade show about 10 years ago (beating my own Wonder Wire!)

Fearing that this would happen I bought a secondhand one off Peter Waller a couple of years ago so that I had a spare. It's also useful when my brother visits so that we have one each.

In my field test I described it as "revolutionary", a word I seldom use. The only minor critisism I had was the nylon screw on the main pole adjustment. I now don't push this pole into the ground, simply using 3 pegs on calm days, 1 at the back and 1 on each side. If neccessary I also add a guy rope, and on the odd occasion storm poles that the new version, but not the original, has fittings for.

It may be a question of looking on eBay. Alternatively this site is still advertising them: http://www.hcbriggs.co.uk/ but of course may not have them any more.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

the kourum doesn't take up much more floor space than a 50in brolly , it has 2 hoop poles(3 section) from side to side and then a central clip on upright, and two other spacer poles . i can get mine up in just over a minute . they dont need to be on perfectly flat ground but are slightly limited in the fact that it has 3 points of contact with the ground as opposed to a single poled umbrella . .

just re-read that and it sounds confusing, :P .best thing i can suggest is ask to see one put up in your local korum dealers

i can honestly say though that i rate it as one of the top 3 tackle purchases ive made in the last few years ;)