Sturgeon Catch

Leon Roskilly

Though there are several different species of sturgeon, all with slightly different feeding habits. They are nearly all bottom feeders taking shellfish and worms in the wild. Where they are fished for with rod and line, fish baits are the norm. Think of them as a bit like Thornbacks, which are mainly shellfish eaters but don't turn there nose up at a chunk of mackerel, when they don't have to catch it!

Yup, it would appear that this caught / lost / found 'Sturgeon' was of the monster 'caspian caviar' type and the ones in sport lakes are some smaller cousin. But they still go like trains! my lad had a 17lb'r on a 'kiddie' rod lead him a merry dance a few years back (caught on pellet).

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

I seem to remember someone who fishes the Frazer river telling me they go up to 800lb or more,

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Excellent article Here describing the 27 or so different varieties of sturgeon.

A sippet from there, The White Sturgeon "Acipenser transmontanus" is one of approx. 27 species of Sturgeon. It is the largest and most recognized in North America and can grow to 20' in length and 2000# in weight.

This big one is from a river in Idaho. Not sure exactly what species. Weight was listed at 347lbs.

Posted Image

And a really striking picture of a Fraser River (British Columbia, Canada) fish with the mouth in 'feeding position' taken by a UK angler several years ago

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt, Them sure is fine fish - but you certain that bottom picture ain't got something to do with them vacuum pump thingy's you was on about last week! :D

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

It would appear the 'sturgeon fish' is not on any UK list of protected fish but on a European one. No mention is made of which sub type of 'Sturgeon fish' is protected!

Does this mean the stockie Sturgeon in French lakes is protected?