My mono is kinking - help

Snatcher

Just loaded up my two spinning reels with 12lb mono on Friday for a bit bass plugging. Loaded one with spiderwire the other with trilene. Used my normal routine for loading it up, Put the reel into the bottom section of a rod and got my dear lady to hold the spool on a pen putting slight pressure on the spool as I wound it on.First cast on Sat with the spiderwire mono,clumps of line coming off every other cast causing tangles.Suspected the make of line so switched to the reel loaded with trilene and the same thing started happening - nightmare. Have been loading my mono on this way for 40+ years and have never had this problem. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Cheers lads and lasses.

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Snatcher:

Just loaded up my two spinning reels with 12lb mono on Friday for a bit bass plugging. Loaded one with spiderwire the other with trilene. Used my normal routine for loading it up, Put the reel into the bottom section of a rod and got my dear lady to hold the spool on a pen putting slight pressure on the spool as I wound it on.First cast on Sat with the spiderwire mono,clumps of line coming off every other cast causing tangles.Suspected the make of line so switched to the reel loaded with trilene and the same thing started happening - nightmare. Have been loading my mono on this way for 40+ years and have never had this problem. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Cheers lads and lasses.

Hi, from my limited experince of F/S reels, "you are doing it wrong," as they say. With a f/s reel the line comes off the spool the same way as it goes onto the reel, not from a rotating spool, this puts kinks into it. There are only 2 ways and you will see which way it should come off when you do it, 50/50 chance to get it right first time. Cheers, Norm B.

The way you have done it is exactly the way a tackle shop would do it except they would use an electric spooler. When I worked in a tackle shop, we would always spool the reel from the top of the spool. I personally use the wife/pen method now and have no problems. I concur with the drag possibly being the culprit. If loose, it'll put twists equal to the gear ratio of the reel every time you turn that crank. Good luck.

Will give your method a go Norm cheers

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Sure you are not over-filling the spools?

Fixed spools should be filled almost to the lip.

A good way to check for overfill, is just to hold the reel in your hand, bail arm open and shake it ...... if coils of line spill off, take off twenty feet and try again. When the line then beds in, it should be at the right level. Don't forget to fill the spool under steady pressure.

I've had two conflicting bits advice on filling FS reels, and I still dont know which is best. One is wife/pen method with spool reeling off freely on the pen, the other is wife/holding method where the spool is held and the line reeled in to lay in reel in the same direction as on the spool. If you get it the right way round its OK, if its unspooled from the wrong side you get a double-twist. I've never succeeded with either as within 30 seconds the phone rings, a child screams or something important to do with clothing has to be attended to. Wife is then replaced with various contraptions involving shoes, drawers, heavy object or doors. Been there? I can't be alone with this.....

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Lay it on the floor (even nail it to the floor), label uppermost, wind it off sideways onto your fixed spool reel. After a few turns, see if it is trying to kink, if so, turn it over and carry on. Foolproof? well, almost, but certainly for braid.

[ 09. July 2004, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: blanked again ]

You can buy a device called the Gardner Spin Doctor for £2.49. This should take out all the line twist. The instructions explain why line twist occurs, how to avoid it and how to best load line onto a fixed spool reel - the line should come anti-clockwise off a stationary spool for the vast majority of models, the main exception being most Mitchells.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net