Returning fish

Tom Pinborough

Hi ya

Has anyone had any experience with the returning of fish caught from deep water, I recently received a link to an American site called

“ a guide to release reef fish with ruptured swimbladders”

www.flseagrant.org/science/venting/

cheers

Tom

(sacn)

Apparently many of the deepwater fish we in the UK catch ie ling eject their stomach. There is an argument that says when the stomach is punctured the release of the stomach acids into the main gut cavity will kill the fish anyway. Perhaps someone could enlighten us on this subject but in the meantime I will continue to vent blown fish because even if they don't survive I view it's better to feed the fish on the ocean floor rather than the seagulls on the surface.

When wrecking I frequently catch fish with `blown` swim bladders that I don`t want to take home to the freezer. Pricking the swim bladder is the only hope for the fish. The majority will not make it. But the odd few will.

Some species, ie. congers and skate will happily be dragged up from 4-600ft and suffer little ill effects. In fact they can sometimes be re-caught within hours. Whils`t fish like pollack have a far less strong constitution and most that are returned will either die on the surface or may if `pricked` try to make it back to the depths.

So. Like Topecatcher. At least give the fish a chance or get in touch with the local cats` home?

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

I was told by a marine biologist that the swim bladder is a crucial part of most fishes' anatomy - pricking it may allow the fish to swim down offthe surface but when it gets "home" it will find it almost impossible to maintain equilibrium and effective movement. It will eventually either starve through excessive engery use in trying to swim effectively or more likely be eaten by predators => a blown swim bladder = almost certainly a dead fish.

Bringing fish up very slowly when fishing in deep water may give them time to adjust to the changing pressure, but that is not always possible...

FWIW

Kieran

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

Kieran Hanrahan:

I agree with you 100% Kieran.

ANY fish that I catch are taken home, not just for my freezer but for others that just can't afford fish.

eg We are a multi racial mix over here, I know a Greek that loves Cods heads, a lady with 13 (last count) cats and they just love the pout. I also give a few fish to Morrocans, Thialanders? and surinams, I get one back cooked as there national dish :)

When I lived with my late parents there was a little group of 10 old peoples bungalows and they just loved it when we arrived with fresh Mackeral.

Sorry, got carried away a bit there. :o

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/