Underwater Filming On The Canal

AddictedToScopex

Hi all,

So I have begun to prebait a swim on the canal I usually fish in the hopes of attracting tench and large bream as this is going to be an Autumn goal of mine. I decided that as part of this prebaiting campaign I would also try to do some underwater filming as what better way is there to see if I have attracted what I am targetting. I decided to use my GoPro for this and rigged up a kind of stage for it to sit on. I attached some rope to the stage so I could retrieve it and also a marker float to the camera so that if it came off I knew where it was and also so I could feed directly over it.

I chucked it in a few times so that I could see what it was seeing and unfortunately the water clarity was terrible on the day due to the wind stirring up the bottom. I did catch some fish on the camera though. On another video I even got a pike wandering over the camera which was awesome to see. This is a project I plan to carry on with as it was so much fun to watch the videos. I am going to do some on the river too. I will have to check the weather to make sure the water is calm next time and go midweek so very few boats have been through.

Here is the link to the footage I got this first time. It isn't the best and I didnt edit it but you do see some fish in it which I thought was cool. Just a shame the visibility was limited to a foot or so.

• Like 1

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Weird i thought the go pro lens was much wider ,i presume it needs a little tuning on the exposure to compensate for the darker conditions .

I must get a waterproof housing for my mobius and have a go but its not good in bad light conditions so a sunny day is needed

You can though change the focus wheres the gopro is fixed?

I found a great problem just finding somewhere to put the upload (and the days uploading it) at 1080p half an hour is a mighty chunk of storage ,heaven knows how they upload footage from the 4k version? Heaven knows how i could ever watch 4k footage at my download speed

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I am not sure what changes I need to make just yet as this was my first go at it but I will be trying to get out again soon. Unfortunately we had a bereavement last week which has hit us all hard so things have been on a back burner since then. I think it was mainly the sediment in the water that caused the lack of vision almost like a fog. I was just happy to get to see something on there as I had expected to pull it out later and see nothing on the video.

Sorry to hear of your problems unfortunately the older you get the more frequent they are

I can understand the murk it gets stuck to glass and plastic very easily (windscreen wipers for go pro? or try that windscreen stuff that makes water slide off or rather the silt) what i found interesting was the FOV perhaps your go-pro is recording in (i hasten to add i dont have one) a narrow FOV it seemed to me you should have more width .

Perhaps its selectable i know theres different lenses for the mobius and you can select FOV as well i think.

I wonder if a light would help the new modern LED lights are small and powerful but ofcourse may frighten off the fish LOL

You have me intrigued enough to send off for a case for my mobius but my luck would be not lack of footage but lack of camera on bringing it in

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Do you mean if it has leaked and broken it? A good tip is to clean the rubber seal before closing each time to make sure that no water gets in. I was pretty nervous about that also but the gopro held up well. If you meant that you may lose it then I tied a marker float round mind using 50lb braid so that if it came free of the staging I could simply hook the marker float and retrieve it that way. I have not actually looked for an FOV option but I will definitely check before next time as it does seem narrow but then that could also be because it was not at the right angle and stuck pointing down. It was a good first trip in terms of things to think about fixing for next time.

I did think about lighting but then had the same thought as you regarding the fish being wary of it. Maybe another test I can perform. I would like to get a camera that can be connected to by wire as I was hoping to connect via the wireless to mine but as soon as it hit the water the wireless signal was cut and I couldnt see what it was seeing anymore.

Do you mean if it has leaked and broken it? A good tip is to clean the rubber seal before closing each time to make sure that no water gets in. I was pretty nervous about that also but the gopro held up well. If you meant that you may lose it then I tied a marker float round mind using 50lb braid so that if it came free of the staging I could simply hook the marker float and retrieve it that way. I have not actually looked for an FOV option but I will definitely check before next time as it does seem narrow but then that could also be because it was not at the right angle and stuck pointing down. It was a good first trip in terms of things to think about fixing for next time.

I did think about lighting but then had the same thought as you regarding the fish being wary of it. Maybe another test I can perform. I would like to get a camera that can be connected to by wire as I was hoping to connect via the wireless to mine but as soon as it hit the water the wireless signal was cut and I couldnt see what it was seeing anymore.

Bluetooth is crap ,some buy bluetooth metal detectors that can work under water then find the headphones cannot get a signal .

Rf is better but still suffers with water

Both are very laggy as well although they are getting better ,i have tried a couple of transmitters on my metal detector so i can go wire free but the lag means i am 6" past the target when you get the signal as you can amaging pretty difficult digging the hole in the right place ,old fashion RF doesnt have the problem but has a problem with drift but theoretically long frequencies travel better in water than short and were using shorter and shorter all the time that didnt come out right what i mean is the frequencies are higher and higher

Edited by chesters1