Off for my first night dead baiting. Tips?

AddictedToScopex

Hi all,

I have been lure fishing for pike for some time now (a number of years) and have dead baited on occassion with limited success. I am going to go this evening and plan to buy some sardines or mackerel from Asda before I go and just cut them up as needed. I plan to float fish them using star lights on my float. This is a method I have used before and caught on.

My question really is what tips would you give me with regards to locations in the evenings or any other tips that may be of use to me. I will post a catch (or blank) report as soon as I get chance. I wont be there all night but just a few hours of darkness.

p.s. I am confident in unhooking them so no worries there :)

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Got my thermal suit and hat at the ready. No flask sadly. If the bogeyman comes along I will politely ask him to stop walking round my damn swim :)

Never done it mate, but "Slashing" the flanks of your dead baits will release all the nice juices & help your quarry locate them by smell rather than just by sight.

I see this post maybe a bit late (Just got home from Afternoon shift) but maybe you'll see it on your phone??

Perhaps you already do it anyway - or use it next time.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I would use a deadbait that comes up slightly off the bottom (semi pop up) and use a half bait which will leak blood & juices as an attractor; or as Martin said slash its sides to let its juices leak out.

Choose a night when the temperatures have been fairly stable for a day or two, and not while the temperature is still dropping.

Take some warm dry clothing and some warm gloves, as well as plenty of hot drink

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Cheers guys. Had a couple of hours but no joy. Was a bit of a spur of the moment thing and just fancied trying something different. The Mrs isn't well so I'm making hay at every opportunity :)

I was using half a herring float fished on the bottom and had starlights on my float so I could see it. The undertow seemed pretty strong which surprised me a bit.

Was a lovely night to be out. Clear skies full of stars nice and peaceful. Beats sitting in front of the box :)

• Like 1

You can buy round foam dowel designed for the job with a syringe like applicator to push it in through the mouth (the dead bait - not yours lol.) I had one given, but never used it much.

For the "Pop Up" thing Keith suggested.

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 2

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!