TV Licence

Andrew

Personally, I don't generally watch it. I don't watch much TV, and what I do watch is mostly the kind of content they don't carry. I record a few things and watch them when I have time. At the moment, my Sky box is mostly recording Fortitude (Sky Atlantic), The Walking Dead (Sky Atlantic), Bones (Fox), Wheeler Dealers (Discovery). And Family Guy and American Dad, in the hope that I might eventually get an episode I've not seen. I've a load of fishing shows recorded that I might eventually get round to watching (Discovery). I'll get Game Of Thrones (Sky Atlantic) when that starts again. Oh, and I watched all of The Grand Tour, on demand on Amazon. Most of the time, if I flick through the channels, there's sod all on. BBC1 is wall to wall bilge that you can get on commercial terrestrial channels. BBC2 and BBC4 occasionally have something interesting on. If I had the choice of receiving and paying for BBC channels or declining, well, they'd have to offer it cheaper than the current licence fee before I'd consider it value for money. But I'm sure the many fans of The One Show, Eastenders and A Question of Sport would happily pay up, and that would be fine by me.

The only genuinely distinctive service the BBC provides, as far as I can see, is Radio 4.

I tend to agree. I don't have Sky. I'll not willingly pay a penny to Rupert Murdoch. I despise the b@stard. BBC2, BBC4, and R4 are about the only thing I'd pay for. I think they have a right fooking cheek to insist that you pay the BBC a licence in order to watch a live streaming show broadcast over YouTube from another continent.

I blame the British Public for that. When they are getting screwed they won't protest loud and clear. They'll mumble and grumble at the same time as they spread their butt cheeks apart ready for the next ten inches.

• Like 1

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Bbc world is ok but despite us paying for it unless your dish is motorised only johny foreigner can see it

Theres also some forbidden to us non sky lot or those abroad ,hopefully they pay to see them?

https://www.bbcworldwide.com/channels/

Sky are also very canny they make their boxes very hard to use on free channels and scramble free ones so they can bung them in with their subscription

Why have Sky? Why would you pay one iota to that Australian b@stard Rupert Murdoch? Can't wait until the old Scunthorpian dies. I'll throw a house party.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Why have Sky? Why would you pay one iota to that Australian b@stard Rupert Murdoch? Can't wait until the old Scunthorpian dies. I'll throw a house party.

As i said i dont have sky ,i have the rest of the visible (to me ) clarke belt to look at ,sky is in a fairly big pond

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_satellites_in_geosynchronous_orbit

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Personally, I don't generally watch it. I don't watch much TV, and what I do watch is mostly the kind of content they don't carry. I record a few things and watch them when I have time. At the moment, my Sky box is mostly recording Fortitude (Sky Atlantic), The Walking Dead (Sky Atlantic), Bones (Fox), Wheeler Dealers (Discovery). And Family Guy and American Dad, in the hope that I might eventually get an episode I've not seen. I've a load of fishing shows recorded that I might eventually get round to watching (Discovery). I'll get Game Of Thrones (Sky Atlantic) when that starts again. Oh, and I watched all of The Grand Tour, on demand on Amazon. Most of the time, if I flick through the channels, there's sod all on.

With that sort of viewing Steve you could ditch Sky and use an Amazon Firestick. Install Kodi and a build of your choice (I use Wookie Lite) and the world is your lobster. It takes a while to get used to and you have to spend some time finding the good streams but I've caught up with Game of Thrones and I'm working my way through The Walking Dead, I also watched season 1 of The Grand Tour. The search function for movies is brilliant allowing you to go back several decades if you fancy some retro viewing. Downside is that the Firestick doesn't have much memory so even with the necessary fast internet connection buffering is a pain when watching live sport in HD, I was able to watch England's cricket tour of India on Sky Sports 2 but only in SD. The Amazon Box might solve that with its greater memory.

• Like 1

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

With that sort of viewing Steve you could ditch Sky and use an Amazon Firestick. Install Kodi and a build of your choice (I use Wookie Lite) and the world is your lobster. It takes a while to get used to and you have to spend some time finding the good streams but I've caught up with Game of Thrones and I'm working my way through The Walking Dead, I also watched season 1 of The Grand Tour. The search function for movies is brilliant allowing you to go back several decades if you fancy some retro viewing. Downside is that the Firestick doesn't have much memory so even with the necessary fast internet connection buffering is a pain when watching live sport in HD, I was able to watch England's cricket tour of India on Sky Sports 2 but only in SD. The Amazon Box might solve that with its greater memory.

because that would be quite illegal and if caught its not going to be as easy as closing the door on a bbc henchman. I wouldnt publicise the fact your nicking premium channels for free :thumbs:

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

because that would be quite illegal and if caught its not going to be as easy as closing the door on a bbc henchman. I wouldnt publicise the fact your nicking premium channels for free :thumbs:

they know where you live ,there will be bbc cookies on your pc lol

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Cookies dont work like that. What the bbc will have though are ip addresses of people accessing their servers and at what time. From that you can get the name of the isp and a general location (glasgow, blantyre, hamilton london, ipswich for example)

They (bbc) then need to apply to the courts to to have the isp hand over details of the customer who had that ip address at that time. Or at least a cease and desist letter (more likely with torrents)

I dont even think kodi stores a cookie its not a browser. Kodi itself is not illegal but when you start using user created plugins on it to stream from sky and bt sports your bang to rights

i have a kodi enabled box but i find it infuriating to use ,i download some channel then choose something within it and a box pops up saying it its not available .

when you do find something the title is so obscure you dont have a clue to what it is until its downloaded x hours later.

in the end i unplugged the box and use youtube on the dvd player

Cookies dont work like that. What the bbc will have though are ip addresses of people accessing their servers and at what time. From that you can get the name of the isp and a general location (glasgow, blantyre, hamilton london, ipswich for example)

They (bbc) then need to apply to the courts to to have the isp hand over details of the customer who had that ip address at that time. Or at least a cease and desist letter (more likely with torrents)

I dont even think kodi stores a cookie its not a browser. Kodi itself is not illegal but when you start using user created plugins on it to stream from sky and bt sports your bang to rights

you dony think the courts will do anything the bbc require?

if a cookie is on your pc then obviously the bbc will know youve been visiting bb c site which is enough to to get more details.i am ofcourse reffering to direct contact with bbc sites rather than via a third party looking at someone elses "contribution"

Edited by chesters1

Im guessing you got one those ones that come fully loaded. Delete the entire thing and install kodi again from the developers site without all the guff and put on yer youtube plugin and one or two other plugins and it will run sooo much better. You can manage with only 2 plugins.