fishing in Holland

The Flying Tench

Has anyone any experience of fishing in Holland? There's just a possibility my wife and I will go to the Drenthe region (north east) to combine archaeology and fishing. I can't find anything on the web about the fishing there, though there's a small canal which goes through the area we'd probably stay in.

A few theories:

Perch. Holland is known for huge perch, but am I right in thinking they come from the big inland waters. Perch fishing in the ordinary canals is probably very similar to over here?

Zander. Presumably they are present in all the Dutch canals?

Rudd. I've come across a touristy video on YouTube which claims that '40 cm rudds are not unusual.' A 40cm rudd is about 3lbs, so it's obviously a huge exaggeration. But maybe there are more waters with good rudd in Holland than in UK?

Any info would be appreciated. Oh, I suppose nobody knows of a Dutch angling forum similar to AN?

john clarke

I saw a Matt Hayes prog' where he caught 4 Rudd all about that weight or above in one session in the UK.

Can't help with the Holland fishing in general mate but no - it's not beyond the bounds of possibility Rudd of that ilk are there also.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

There is some spectacular perch fishing and I believe that Asp are also now present in several areas of the country if you fancy fishing shallow diving minnows quickly to target them.

This might be useful.

Remember that even their smaller canals are 14m wide - my local one is 8.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.