'Lundi. Vous pouvez aller a la peche!'

I wouldn't count your poulets if I were you John.

I don't think we are anywhere near that yet, another 2 or 3 weeks maybe. I'm thinking that June 16th would be a good date, that would give a greater choice of where to fish, and thus less chance of crowding. Having said that, I keep seeing reports of anglers going out, and even some commercial waters still open, and having matches. If these reports are true, then these actions could jeopardise, the chances of an early return to angling. It's ok for some to say that they know, and have access, to waters where they can fish in isolation, but it just takes a couple to see them, and tell their mates, and the place ain't so isolated. Then there's the, 'if they can do it, then I'm going to do it' brigade, and we all know that there are plenty of those among anglers, as well as in the general public.

John

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I saw someone out riding a pushbike with a rod and reel today. I suspect that he'd been illegally fishing the river.

Ireland is open for fishing though if you can find transport and accommodation.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

If anyone deciding on anglings return after lock down was watching ITV4 earlier this morning, then we've no chance of getting back bankside any time soon. The whole morning was taken up with Korda 'fishing' programmes 'starring' Dean Macey and his mate Ali. Social distancing while hugging, kissing, wrestling, back slapping, rugby tackling, while screaming and whooping on the top of their voices, are hardly conducive to social distancing. It hardly supports the stereotypical view of the solitary angler, sitting on the bank, absorbing the peace and tranquillity of nature. I watched one about catfish from the Amazon, which was passable, but they then went to the Anglers World 'fishery' in Devon. It endorsed my less than complementary view of these places, and I had to turn off after struggling to watch about ten minutes of it.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John