LEricG

I've recently been given some old rods that I intend to 'do up a bit' for my own use and wondered if anyone can tell me anything about them please? e.g. what type of fishing they would be best suited for.

The first one is a Pegley Davis Strike Ace, 7ft. 2-section rod.

The second is also 7ft. single section (although as you can see the handle separates). The decal is unreadable (but hopefully someone will recognize it) though there is a number - 505-S

The 3rd. is Frobisher's of Liverpool PALACE NO. 3. 10FT. 5INS. (minus the butt cap).

The last one is just 5ft. 7ins. A single section rod with no markings, also with a removable handle. a nice light little rod.

Hoping I manage to get the photos uploaded ok.

Any information would be appreciated

.IMG_20220407_115339_084.thumb.jpg.94ea6511357cb63f8046296bd13a9103.jpg

IMG_20220407_115508_032.thumb.jpg.73eec6db40d7a9bad62fba7d1b73cf4f.jpgIMG_20220407_115137_209.thumb.jpg.29176b23abbb6384fcd8b0135d901b93.jpg

IMG_20220407_115622_692.jpg

IMG_20220407_123343_465.jpg

IMG_20220407_115248_824.jpg

IMG_20220407_124148_698.jpg

IMG_20220407_115358_053.jpg

You probably wont enjoy using them as most look like solid glass or old glass rods which in the late sixties were the real bottom of the pile even in the 50's many cane rods had solid glass tops eventually hollow glass was perfected and cane declined.Saying that hollow glass is vastly different at the top end theres some really nice glass rods even now in the realm of carbon .

Most tackle shops at one time knocked out glass rods after cane declined i have a couple made by Mick borra the chap who used to run the creel in aldershot who made pretty good rods on good blanks .I still have many old rods from cane onto monster hollow glass rods 3" thick (jokingly called ru-lite 😆) and i still use my long favourite PDQ 14ft rod its far superior to these short carbon things from china .

If you want to go old school look out for the better makers and if you can find some ABU or B&W etc rods they are not that heavy and i prefer the action over carbon ,if they are to heavy put them in rod rests lol

Pair them with some 500 series ABU reels and have fun float fishing. Carp on the other hand need carp equiptment they always have you may find old tackle will fall apart as they may have degraded over time one little near invisible crack and ........

The two part rods especially the wooden handled one are not really worth spending time on they were generally regarded as 'boys rods' the wooden handled one probably screws together was probably sold as a multi use rod (some had multiple lenghts of glass sections the thickest regarded as a 'pier rod' or perhaps a 'pike rod' they generally sold to new comers who swiftly gave up fishing or spent wiser on better tackle and started enjoying themselves.

The other two one looks like a old B james? the other is probably a made to order tackle shop one? They maybe worth restoring but as i said if you want to go glass get the better makes they are surprisingly light for the time.

Welcome to Anglers Net i hope your are not put off by my blunt but truthful reply

Looking again two pictures are the same rod, the probable fishing tackle one-off its the only one worth keeping out of the lot 😟 Many not so kind would say use it for your runner beans! Its a strange lenght if one of the sections is shorter than the others its been snapped at some time .

As to uses boys rods were crappy float rods but put to any use as they were fit for none, being old fashioned generally long rods were 'match rods' (float rods)13-14ft ,10 + were either carp or ledger rods and 6-8 spinning rods or pokers for pike ,nowadays i get confused with the uses put to them as they are far more refined for species / uses or gullible angler i will let you decide

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Have a bit of fun - go fishing with some of them just as they are & see how you get on.🎣

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

3 hours ago, Martin56 said:

Have a bit of fun - go fishing with some of them just as they are & see how you get on.🎣

There is that of course...but you better make sure the reel suits the rod, something like a Black Prince, Monarch, or Mitchell 206 would be ideal, rolled down waders, and a Shakey box would complete the ensemble ☺

Ala Chesters 😀

Thanks guys. I never really imagined them to be anything special but then, I'm a crappy angler - only bothering to buy a licence ever 10 years or so, which is why I've never got to be any good at it - just enjoy being out there any trying.

You haven't put me off, Chesters. 

I've got a couple of old cane rods that my dad took me out with many moons ago that I intend to do up, so when I saw these old rods in a battered old shed I scrounged them to do the same. I particullaly like the idea of going out with the shorter ones as I like to just walk along the river or canal with just a rod and a few bits in a shoulder bag, rather than take a lot of kit and be stuck in one place. Martin, your suggestion is just what I like to do,