"Mekon-skin" bait scores down under.

Vagabond

Hi Norrie and the rest.

Last post I mentioned I was going after flatheads in the Tamar estuary, Tasmania.

What I didn't mention was that I was going to try the Fish'n Strip bait - which after one look we christened Mekon-skin (older readers familiar with the Eagle and Dan Dare will explain if anyone is puzzled)

Anyway, back to flatheads. We caught them on prawn, cut fish, squid and Mekon-skin - nothing difficult about catching flatheads - as easy and as prolific as dabs used to be 60 years ago before mega-trawling.

In fact if flatheads had refused the green skin it would have been bad news indeed. Where I WAS disappointed was in the life of the bait. Flatheads have very sharp teeth and are bait stealers and bait shredders, and I was hoping to catch several without having to rebait. I'm afraid each bait only lasted for two fish (three on one occasion)

However, I can see a use for Mekon-skin as a permanent standby in my seafishing haversack, so I will never be short of bait again. I wonder how it will stand up to whiting teeth - must give it a go this winter.

Norma has filleted the flatheads while I was typing this and is going to fry them in butter after coating them in breadcrumbs - to be served with stir-fry mixed vegtables - looking forward to that.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Some species of Flathead can be jaw lifted whilst other shred your thumb to mincemeat with their teeth - I have the scars to prove it.

The poisonous spine on the back of the head can also be fun.

Have you done any eel fishing in Tassie ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Yeh, to say nothing of the multiple spines on the gill covers :( Experience, pliers and a THICK rag are musts for unhooking. The "experience" bit is a pain-driven steep learning curve !

These were Southern Sand Flatheads - there are plenty of other sorts in other habitats.

They were delicious by the way - we had a similar feast on Friday, and tonight I said casually "I wonder how long it would take for you to get fed-up with catching and eating flatheads"

Norma's brother said "Let's try and find out!"

PS Have never fished for Tassy eels , but were on our way back from trout-fishing the St Patricks River once, and witnessed someone struggling with a big one. I reckon it went about 6 lb.

[ 12. April 2004, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

That's a baby.

A big one would have that for lunch ! and no, I'm not exageratting.

There are two species, long and short finned eels. Can't remember off hand which is the big one but big is the right word.

BTW. Flathead are nice but Aussie whitting take some beating (they take batter even better) and if you're heading north, Golden perch are a top freshwater feed.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I've got a Aussie mate,(Skippy is his Nickname),he tells me that they eat Perch/Redfin in Aussieland. He says they taste lovely. Oh,Seemingly the correct name for them is English Perch,he wanted to go and fish the canal for some,Arghhhhh....

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/