DEFRA Proposel

sam-cox

In this weeks fishing news there is a bit on a proposal from DEFRA to up the MLS for bass from 36cm to 45cm, I understand a lot of people would like 52cm but I feel 45 cm is a very good start.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Summer, probably because most are taken at 36 cm now.

If the new rules do come in, there will probably be some 12 or 18 months before the 2002 year group (reckoned to be up to 10 times the size of any previous year group) reaches the new size limit, then there should be quite a few around :)

(note: there will be a short DEFRA consultation period in the next few months on this proposal. If there is a good response from anglers then it has a chance of succeeding, but it needs everyone to make an effort to respond - see here )

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

@SUMMER@:

But what about all the undersize fish the netters get?? doesnt matter if they are 10 or 45 cm as they are all dead.

:cool: In the BMP I believe there are proposals to ban gill nets within a mile of the shore, this would cut down on some of the slaughter. Also mesh sizes should be increased to take account of the increased MLS, it wouldn't make sense to leave them the same. There are loads of bass in the 42-44 cm size range this year, they are my main catch when targeting mullet this year, looked after these could be 50cm in a couple of years. It only takes a bit of thought on behalf of Defra to see the benefits of raising the MLS to 50cm. They probably want to ease it in gently but a swift blow would be best for all concerned, even anglers. :D

[ 19. August 2005, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Norm B ]

Norm B:

Also mesh sizes should be increased to take account of the increased MLS, it wouldn't make sense to leave them the same.
Yes the proposal to increase the MLS will also include a proposal to increase the mesh sizes used accordingly.

(As Sam keeps saying, mesh sizes used for the various forms of gill-netting are fairly good at targeting specific sized fish, allowing small fish through and larger fish to bounce off).

Other measures proposed in the BMP will probably follow at a later date; the urgency now is to get the 2002 year class protected before it starts to reach 36cm at the end of 2005.

Tight Lines - leon

[ 19. August 2005, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I went for an hour today and caught a four pounder, first faily decent bass Ive caught for a month.

Maybe after a few years with the new MLS us anglers may start catch a few more 3 to 4 pounders.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!