the cost of fuel

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently the Weymouth charter boats fishing Alderney have come to a "gentleman's agreement" where they won't steam any faster than 11 knots to save fuel once across the channel! Sounds like poorer value for money to me - I'd be upset at paying 'offshore' rates to go 9 miles at most, and at a relatively pedestrian pace, unless the skippers are extending the day to compensate.

That'll serve them right for buying boats with 700+ horsepower under the bonnet which they never use.

Toarag its not just weymouth that have charterboats that have large engines the whitby fleet is made up with boats that have engines over 400hp lets get this right nobody forseen what was going to happen with oil prices a people move with the times i think you are little bit out of order calling somebody for getting a modern boat with big engines if you dont want to go on a fast dont go the skippers at weymouth are trying to keep the cost of the trip down rather than pass the fuel increase on to the customer but there is one massive adavantage with a fast boat in a unforseen case of an emergency and you need to get somebody somewhere fast i know which boat i would rather be on fast or slow FAST it could save a life.

paul.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest challenge
Toarag its not just weymouth that have charterboats that have large engines the whitby fleet is made up with boats that have engines over 400hp lets get this right nobody forseen what was going to happen with oil prices a people move with the times i think you are little bit out of order calling somebody for getting a modern boat with big engines if you dont want to go on a fast dont go the skippers at weymouth are trying to keep the cost of the trip down rather than pass the fuel increase on to the customer but there is one massive adavantage with a fast boat in a unforseen case of an emergency and you need to get somebody somewhere fast i know which boat i would rather be on fast or slow FAST it could save a life.

paul.

I agree with you Paul on the point that no body could foresee the massive price rise in fuel costs.

I believe that torag has a point here; Whitby charter skippers sold the idea to anglers that you need fast boats to get offside as fast as possible to get the maximum amount of fishing time in.

Offside will be 30 miles plus. Now the price of fuel is realistically stopping you doing that.

Hopefully they will be another decent fishing to be had inside so at least you will be only steaming about full for a few minutes.

I would find it very frustrating if I had a car that could do 140 MPH but because I could not afford the fuel for it I could only go around doing 30 MPH

As for safety in a boat that goes fast Paul, I can assure you I have never felt safer at sea because the boat I am in goes fast. Lifeboats and helicopters go fast Paul.

Give me a good sea boat with something in the water that you can rely on any day of the week, or weekend come to that.

regards

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with you Paul on the point that no body could foresee the massive price rise in fuel costs.

I believe that torag has a point here; Whitby charter skippers sold the idea to anglers that you need fast boats to get offside as fast as possible to get the maximum amount of fishing time in.

Offside will be 30 miles plus. Now the price of fuel is realistically stopping you doing that.

Hopefully they will be another decent fishing to be had inside so at least you will be only steaming about full for a few minutes.

I would find it very frustrating if I had a car that could do 140 MPH but because I could not afford the fuel for it I could only go around doing 30 MPH

As for safety in a boat that goes fast Paul, I can assure you I have never felt safer at sea because the boat I am in goes fast. Lifeboats and helicopters go fast Paul.

Give me a good sea boat with something in the water that you can rely on any day of the week, or weekend come to that.

regards

John if the fishing is as good as it was last summer here at whitby then i will be extremly happy approx 15 minuites steaming time from the harbour saw some cod fishing second to non on the east coast of the uk and by whats been catching just recently the signs are there for another great year here at whitby for cod fishing .

I still say if you are in fast boat you can get back to port if needed to be very very quickly as i did 2 years ago i had a diabetic on board who took a turn for the worst now the differnce between 8 knotts and 25 knotts getting back to the harbour could the differce between life of death it is a simple as that it took me 10 minuites to get back to the harbour from the 3 mile we were back in before the lifeboat launched and paramedic was waiting on quay side thankfully the guy made a full recovery .

ps tell andy to get the shads out he will be needing them shortly.

killer-shad5.jpg

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest challenge
John if the fishing is as good as it was last summer here at whitby then i will be extremly happy approx 15 minuites steaming time from the harbour saw some cod fishing second to non on the east coast of the uk and by whats been catching just recently the signs are there for another great year here at whitby for cod fishing .

I still say if you are in fast boat you can get back to port if needed to be very very quickly as i did 2 years ago i had a diabetic on board who took a turn for the worst now the differnce between 8 knotts and 25 knotts getting back to the harbour could the differce between life of death it is a simple as that it took me 10 minuites to get back to the harbour from the 3 mile we were back in before the lifeboat launched and paramedic was waiting on quay side thankfully the guy made a full recovery .

ps tell andy to get the shads out he will be needing them shortly.

img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c5/big_cod/killer-shad5.jpg[/img]

paul.

Ok Paul, lets hope that the price of fuel doesn’t go up any more.

Andy has got loads of shads ready; unfortunately he has no quota to catch any cod.

Regards.

http://www.nffo.org.uk/news/minister_commits_to_support.html

Poor old mr shaw looks decidedly uncomfortable sitting next to this lady. B) Anyone knows how the court case is getting on. :whistling:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

http://www.newlyn.info/content/view/493/1/

http://www.mfa.gov.uk/news/press/070824.htm

Skippers in the dock as Cornwall's last great fishing town awaits fate

Altogether, 17 Newlyn skippers, owners and agents have been convicted of involvement in a scheme to land so-called "black fish" - fish that under the EU quota system they were not entitled to bring back to port.

Mrs Stevenson, 50, president of the National Federation of Fishermen's Organisations, is appealing against her conviction. Elizabeth Stevenson, the "Queen of Fish", whose family firm has come to dominate fishing in Newlyn since their first boat set sail from the Cornish port 200 years ago. W Stevenson & Sons, which has been in business since the 19th century, operates 35 boats, employs 150 people at sea and 90 on shore.

The appeal could delay the sentencing, adding to the skippers' anxiety but deciding the fate of Newlyn.

- The Guardian

If the Secretary's of State (Defra and Justice) got together over this one, perhaps it would help just to lock her up for a short period rather than a devastating fine on all the skippers (who were allegedly, 'just following orders'.)

Not a long sentence, mind!

Maybe just till fuel prices come down, so they won't have to keep cheating.

<_<

Thanks for the links H A. I note that mr trebilcock in trying to justify mrs stephensons (appealing) and others illegal actions refer this to cheating carried out six years ago. However your second link quite clearly shows both antony and william stephenson convicted of newer scams carried out in april of last year.

Both of them recieved fines greater than the guy who was 'following orders'?

Until the courts pass real sentences, these cheats will carry on as it is economic to do so.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

From my local news:-

French fishermen are staging a blockade in St Malo today. Islanders planning to catch a ferry across may have to think again. HD ferries have already confirmed they won't be sailing to St Malo today as the fisherman protest against the rising cost of fuel. Negotiations are being held in Paris later. Condor ferries have told us they're currently assessing the situation. The French Fishing Minister Michael Barnier is reportedly trying to free up 310million euros but he'll have to await authorisation from Brussels.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com