Gurnard fishing

me

Louis Saha:

what's a Cuckoo Wrasse????????? :confused: :rolleyes:Posted Image

I also just found out the 6 species of gurnard around the UK. Piper, long finned, tub, red, grey and streaked gurnards are the ones around the British Isles, but the piper is a very deep water fish and the long finned is rare.

Want to target gurnards?

I do it several times every year! When the tides drop over the skerries bank(Devon), we go to the drop offs to the south of the bank.

Bait can be anything from a small strip of squid/mackeral to ragworm. When I say target, it just means we go where we know they are? A big tub or a small red will take the bait (usually on baited hokkais). Sometimes vice versa. I`ve never managed to catch a big tub yet, but several reds over a pound.

But then again I`ve targetted doggies on the skerries on a species comp`, and caught them!!

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!