Gurnard fishing

me

what would you call a big Gurnard? Also what baits except spinning can i catch them on? as i am interested in catching more of this fish.. :D:)

Nathan

Genuine Taff

Probably...

Depends what species of gurnard. I've caught a grey gurnard over a pound which is quite a fair size from the shore.

You could try mustad shrimp feathers baited with small bits of mackerel or sections of ragworm. Gurnard as you have already found out like moving targets so every so often reel you bait in a little closer and it may induce a take.

Hi Nathan

A couple of years back I caught a Red Gurnard out of Swansea just under a pound. At first when told by the skipper it could be a Welsh record I thought he was joking, but Roger of Rogers Tackle, Pilot Wharf, got in touch with the powers that be, to find out that I was a couple of ounces short.

Out of Rhyl one of our lads caught a Tub Gurnard of 4lb+ but was told they come much bigger.

Here is a picture of Alans 4lb+ Tub Gurnard

Posted Image

Desford Sea Angling Society

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif

I have caught a number of Gurnard but would think they are virtually impossible to target. Have alway been on a sandy or mixed bottom. Main species of fish caught were whiting flatties or doggies with the opccaisional gurnard being caught when it beat the others to the bait. I have seen dozens but few over 12 oz.

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.

How do you tell the different types appart then? Am i right in thinking their is six species of gurnard? I know some people that catch the odd one off the coast but they are often fishing for other things and catch them by mistake. I can see why NathaN wants to catch more as they are an attractive fish, but they dont beat my favourite... cuckoo wrasse :D !

We get "a lot" of Red and Grey gurnard here of the Isle of Lewis, though only occasional Tub.

We have been getting so many over the years, we added 2cm onto the minimum size for our competitions. Though don't normally target them specifically - and pick them up during fishing over soft for flats and haddock.

I find when fishing from the boat on the drift, small hooks with small mackerel baits work well - most traces work well - have tried the mustad shrimp feather that Saint mentions and had good success.

If there is very little drift, or you are anchored up - try stripping off a meter or two of line so that your baits are lying as tight to the bottom as possible - or fish three of a boom.

My best day on Gurnards, was 18 - a mixture of reds and greys, with my biggest so far to date a a Red of 1 lb 6oz - and a Grey of 1 lb 2oz. Our Club records are Red 2 lb 7 oz, and Grey 2 lb.

Funny wee fish - when they start croaking at you once they come out of the water, also one of my favourite table fish once you take the time to prepare :)

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Don't know about the rest of you but what I have found over the last 2 years is an invasion of grey gurnard where there was previously none. Wether this is a response to the demise of another species in the area and then the gurnard filling that ecological niche I do not know for sure.

As peterthefisherman says, you usually pick up gurnard when fishing for something else. Over sandy or mixed ground? yes.

I have had several gurnard by drifting sandeels close to the bottom when fishing for turbot. Perhaps if I had announced beforehand I was "fishing for gurnard" then I might have caught turbot instead

Ed - For about £15 you can get an excellent paperback "Collins Guide to Fishes of the British Isles and Northwestern Europe" which will give pretty good descriptions and illustrations of all the six gurnards you mention.

It even mentions cuckoo wrasse, so someone could send Nathan Saha an autographed picture of a cuckoo wrasse in a No 9 Fulham shirt - who knows? Alex might want to sign it up for a small fee :D

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...