If you could catch just one of the following...

tiddlertamer

Just a bit of fun, but which of the following fish would you most aspire to catch and why? Only one choice mind!

40lb catfish

30lb carp

20lb pike

12lb bream

10lb barbel

10lb zander

9lb tench

5lb chub

3lb perch

2lb roach

2lb rudd

2lb grayling

1lb dace

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without a doubt the 40lb catfish

1. It's an unusual fish I've never caught

2. Probably the hardest fighting fish out of all of those

If it was a list to pick the hardest UK freshwater fighter from, it would have to have 20lb+ fresh run salmon on it for me. As its not it will have to be 2lb+ Roach for me. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Unfortunately, the fish that I would most like to catch has been missed off the list which is a double figure Tench. I have fished for many years for one and have come close with fish to over 9lb and have netted three fish over the magic mark for others but I have still to crack the double. Every year when the fish are spawning in some waters close to where I live, I see some huge female Tench but these keep eluding me although I have managed several males from different waters over 7lbs which gives a good indication of the quality of fish that the waters contain.

Unfortunately, the fish that I would most like to catch has been missed off the list which is a double figure Tench. I have fished for many years for one and have come close with fish to over 9lb and have netted three fish over the magic mark for others but I have still to crack the double. Every year when the fish are spawning in some waters close to where I live, I see some huge female Tench but these keep eluding me although I have managed several males from different waters over 7lbs which gives a good indication of the quality of fish that the waters contain.

Apologies for the oversight on my part. Now corrected and tench added to the list. Although only a nine pounder...

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Just a bit of fun, but which of the following fish would you most aspire to catch and why? Only one choice mind!

40lb catfish

30lb carp

20lb pike

12lb bream

10lb barbel

10lb zander

5lb chub

3lb perch

2lb roach

2lb rudd

2lb grayling

1lb dace

Of those in your list I haven't caught, I think the dace would prove most difficult, so that would be my choice. The pike would be a close second (despite having caught hundreds of pike, I've never had a 20).

A 1lb dace is getting very close to record size - it's comparively the biggest fish in the list.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I think it would have to be the 2lb roach, on the grounds that I've been catching roach for the last 30 years or so and have only once caught one approaching that sort of size (and didn't have any scales on me). Of course, most of the waters I've fished for roach didn't have any fish that size in them, but all the same.

If I set out to catch those fish next year, I think I could tick off the barbel and chub easily enough. I have access to several waters with carp and pike of those sizes. I could hire a private detective to stalk Anderoo until I have all his secret perch fishing spots. The remaining species would take some homework to find suitable venues local enough to put the hours in, I think.

Ah, now you've added my favourite species to the list, I'm not so sure. A double figure tench would be achievable, with enough effort.

Edited by Steve Walker

I could hire a private detective to stalk Anderoo until I have all his secret perch fishing spots.

:lol: I've already got a spook following JV44... :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Quite a list :)

Already had a few of them, but the Tench will be on the list for next spring, and the lake I will be fishing has a few 12lb plus bream. I will start piking soon (for a few weeks) and maybe get a twenty on proper pike tactics :) not a maggot feeder :)

I am exploring my local lake for a big Rudd and Roach at the moment, not sure they go to 2lb yet so the target is bigger than 1lb 6oz (had one of each this size so far). I have already had my 2 pound Roach a few years ago but the local lake has that exciting "unknown" element.

So my choice (at this time) would have to be the 2lb Rudd

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic