Scottish Porbeagle (3rd time lucky)

tuggs

originally posted by Scotty T;

Has anyone else seen the picture of the porbeagle shark in this months Boat Fishing Monthly which was captured off Dunnet Head from 'Hebradian Warrior'?

Does anyone know if this magnifcent fish was released or end up in a fish market? I really hope it was returned, but I have a feeling it wasn't, my reason being the nasty wound it has in its lower jaw presumably from a gaff. I hope i'm wrong.

Scotty

we had ascertained that the shark in the pic was dead, it had a whopping great rip in its lower gob area (ok i don't know posh names :P )

it was only 250lb in weight, the equivalent (i think) of a teenager, what a waste!

and that the skipper of the boat was the current record holder in scotland, possibly the uk i think of porbeagle shark at 507lb so would have known that this was just a littl'un :( (will hold my opinion to myself on that)

anyone wanna front me some money so i can buy a boat and start a tag and release? :P

scrabster survivor and official loony

www.tugmistress.co.uk

Life can't get better than this!

www.save-our-sharks.org

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya,

Well I think you know my feelings on what has happend and Boat Angler aint much better for printing the pictures :mad: :mad:

As for the boat idea, yup could work.. we need a boat up there that will practice catch and release, for everything not just Sharks. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Jezzzus,

I decide to take the wife out for something to eat and all hell breaks loose on my thread!!!

Thanks for re-starting it Tuggs, and i'm very pleased that nearly everyone is of the same oppion as me, THIS IS WRONG.

Nice pic of the guy cutting the hook from the mako ST, must have balls of steel.

Scotty

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

unfortunatly charter skippers know full well that a a good porgie is worth a weeks wages hence the reason for them being killed!

charter skippers should be monitored closley saying as most arnt even legally allowed to sell fish.

At the end of the day we have the final say in whos services we require to catch fish.

im very dissapointed seeing that dead porgie after all that was the boat i was planning on fishing on my next trip.

well theres another boat i will not be fishing.

Thats a very good point Krusty, it is illegal to sell fish caught on a charter trip, the last trip I went on the skipper actually displayed a sign stateing this fact.

It may also be worth thinking about wether the guy who caugth this shark was actualling given a choice as to wether the fish was returned or not???

Scotty

unfortunatly there are also anglers that will willingly catch a shark for to make a quick buck.

charter boats should be inspected and approved to catch certain species.

lets face it the skipper knows exactly what happens if he brings an angry 300lb porgie on the boat and he dosent want to see his coustomers air lifted off his boat with brocken legs or worse.

its about time we had star raitings for charter boats.

just like the AA has for hotels and resteraunts.how cool would it be to fish on a boat with a five star charter skipper.

well i can tell you the guy holding the shark is a flipping nugget!

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

thurso angler:

well i can tell you the guy holding the shark is a flipping nugget!

Oh well, thought i'd give him the benefit of the doubt anyway..... :rolleyes::rolleyes::(

Scotty

Nope sorry scotty t hes a nugget, i know him nugget!!

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"