Scottish Porbeagle (3rd time lucky)

tuggs

A commercial boat out of here (Aldeney) targets porbeagles in the summer. They use longlines suspended under oil drums and drift up and down the channel following several of these longlines.

They do very well and the shark are worth a lot in France, after all they will eat anything :D

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points well made people. Thanks for that.

Glad to see the thread progressed as should happen eventually, perhaps somebody got caught by Mummy and sent off to their room tonight.

A few years ago fishing a charter boat in Ireland skipper (who also owned a Restaurant ) suggested we fished for Porgies, I was up for it whilst the others on boat were not so keen. whilst we trolled across a good spot they had a field day on nice Pollock whilst I sat with this bloody great rod n reel strapped in waiting for the take without as much as a nibble.

Later heard the skipper talking to a mate on the phone saying " no didn't catch one but managed to get one from **********"

Walking past said Restaurant later that evening guess what was on the specials menu?

Fool me or what.

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Hi Salar,

It seems it is one of it's names yes, i just copied and pasted the following from this site:

http://www.fishing.co.uk/article.php3?id=354

The Porbeagle Shark, Lamna Nasus, is Northern Europe's 'biggest big game fish'. It is thought to grow to about a thousand pounds, and the All-Tackle World Record is a fish of 507 pounds, caught by Christopher Bennet, off Caithness, Scotland in March 1993. It has a number of different names; which include, Salmon Shark, Herring Shark, Blue Dog, Mackerel Shark amongst others and is endemic to the cool temperate waters of the Northern Atlantic. The Pacific Porbeagle is considered the same fish and has the Latin name Lamna Ditropis. In the northern hemisphere it is found as far north as Norway and Iceland and as far south as the north coast of Africa. It is also to be found in the Mediterranean Sea. It is a pelagic, oceanic shark and is frequently found near the shore especially during the summer months. It has been implicated in shark attacks in areas of the Mediterranean Sea.

The 'Porgie' as it is affectionately known, is a member of the Lamnidae family of shark's which includes the Great White and Mako Sharks. It is a thick set, perfectly formed shark, easily identified by clusps at the base of its teeth with a white patch at the bottom of its dorsal fin.

It follows the huge mackerel and herring shoals, hence its other names, and is the main reason it is found close inshore during the summer months. The porgie is warm blooded and oviparous, giving birth with up to five live pups. However, they are only thought to breed once every two to three years.

scrabster survivor and official loony

www.tugmistress.co.uk

Life can't get better than this!

www.save-our-sharks.org

Wonder if I hooked one when we were out, had something small on then everything went solid, went for a break and things went light, as I was reeling in it went solid again before breaking off.

Bill saw this and thought it had dragged of the snag then caught up again... odd though.

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

David.W:

Wonder if I hooked one when we were out, had something small on then everything went solid, went for a break and things went light, as I was reeling in it went solid again before breaking off.

Bill saw this and thought it had dragged of the snag then caught up again... odd though.

David.W:

An Elastoplast ain't going to patch that hole - Shame!!

Posted Image

if it was i hope it was a biggerone than this, there doesn't seem to be many biggies around

scrabster survivor and official loony

www.tugmistress.co.uk

Life can't get better than this!

www.save-our-sharks.org

I think if I had got what ever it was up I would have cut my line before a gaff went near it.

I liked seeing the small fish swim away, imagine seeing a shark swim free :D

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

A few years ago two of my mates were fishing the needles, twas a very hot day and one of them decided to strip off and cool down in the traditional way. After a few minutes of splashing around the boat he came back on board to the amusement of others.

About 40 seconds later one of the lads reels screamed and after a magnificent fight a 300lb Porgie was brought to the boat (estimated as it was cut free)

So there you have it, the best lure for the big porgies is.......... (Although I will stick to mackeral )

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."