Photo comp I have a suggestion.

Clifftop

When i picked the finalists the other month i based my choices on how much i liked it and then how good it was technically. For me that months winner was one that didn't come anywhere so it just shows you how personal it is.

I was surprised not to see one of my Halloween shots in the final this month given i posted them on Halloween but easy come easy go :D

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alnath, forgive me, but I'm going to put you on a spot. If one of your pictures had been selected for the final six then which of the six that I did choose would you have dropped? No, you don't have to answer that one!

Yes, your Halloween pictures are sharp, well composed, perfectly exposed, an excellent record of an event in your life or that of a member of your family, but did it really depict the afterlife, sepulcher atmosphere of Halloween? Okay, so the girls were suitably dressed, the setting was obvious, and on camera flash that killed the atmospehere. Sorry, but not for me!

Although I liked the B/W shot, a lot, I felt that the chosen six had more appeal, more atmosphere and more feeling. But back to your 'Halloween' pictures, just for a moment, take the costumes out of the picture and is there anything else that suggests Halloween?

Edited by Peter Waller

On a personal note, although I have been in the position of being judge, I cant say I enjoyed it? although I posted how the pictures moved me on a personal level, memories and the like, those memories I enjoyed. But that was not the reson I chose the six. My technical knowledge is not good enough to give any meaningfull explination of why I picked the final six, they just 'were' the 'ones' I liked.

I am happy not to be no.1, cos I dont realy want to go through that again. However I do get a buzz from getting into the six, suprised to get two this month :blink: If ever I get the top spot again?? I will again take the rout of 'no technical coment'.

I try to theme myself . . . this month it was more a photo oportunity; 'Saturday morning in Colchest'. I had about 50 to choose from, all a bit snap-shotie, but thats my style, with the od one taking a bit more time. Plus I was sheperding Hazel about pointing out possible options for her to point here newly aquired DSLR at and how it was done.

Themeing, for me, focuses the mind, rather than aimlessly hosing about with a camera, yes, I know, I do hose about a bit, but with method in the madness.

No goal, no achivement, nothing to measure the effort by, how else can you judge any improvement? . . . thats my theory. SW

Further thought on 'Themeing'. If the list for the following year was posted in December, chosen by ???? and had 4 titles garanteed; April='Spring', July='Summer', October='Autum' and December='Winter'. No one could object to those, the options are endless, but the mind of those that like 'themes' are imediatly able to go to work? The remaining 8 subjects, take them or leave them if you dont like themes? There is least 4 no one can argue with . . . but then again <_<

SW

SW, if you need a theme, then set yourself one. Atmosphere is always a good one! Design can be pretty good. The quality of light is another subject worth exploring. Take yourself off to a few art galleries, not Tate Modern, and ask yourself why those pictures are considered 'good'. Fair bet that those three themes will be in their somewhere!

SW, if you need a theme, then set yourself one. Atmosphere is always a good one! Design can be pretty good. The quality of light is another subject worth exploring. Take yourself off to a few art galleries, not Tate Modern, and ask yourself why those pictures are considered 'good'. Fair bet that those three themes will be in their somewhere!

Good idea there Peter. However, I still see themeing as a focus for all partisipants in a comp, a leveler, thats just me of course, I find anything meanigless that has no goal, get very board almost instantly, like sharads!!! whats the point. Miserable old s.o.d me. Just my humble opinion :rolleyes:

SW

Getting a bit involved aren't you Peter? Most of us who post do it because we have managed to take a pic that is "rather good" in our estimation. I bet not many bother to analyse the ins and outs of the pic i.e. "does it really depict the afterlife sepulchre atmosphere of Haloween? " Just what does the pic of the little girl at a piano depict? It's got the Aahh factor, but we have had a few of these recently so could be why it is getting few votes.

I am also a fan of a themed comp, provides a little incentive to try to capture the spirit of the topic, and can be good fun.

Re making comments/offering criticism then not for me thanks, I got enough stick when I tried that a while ago :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I think I'm right in saying that most of the replies are from the keen photographers. These people would probably have entered anyway.

If we're trying to increase the number of entries (is that one of the aims?) might it be a good idea to try to encourage those of us who are less keen and certainly less talented?

For that reason I prefer not to have a theme. I find it hard enough to take any picture worthy of entry, let alone one on a particular theme!

As for judging, one man's meat is another man's poison.

I'd therefore like to see the judging thrown open to all of us, possibly with the top so many going into a final.

If it's felt that would be too long-winded, maybe the top three in the preceding competition choose their favourite six photos and all are included in the short list? That way a good photo that doesn't for some reason appeal to just one person isn't excluded.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Themed was always a bit of a problem given how widely spread we are.

Seasonal really won't work since the seasons are different in different parts of the world.

Holidays really won't work since we don't share that many common ones.

Then there is always the less active photographer among us (this includes me) who may get some excellent shots they want to enter but might not be on the theme of the month so they are not entered.

I have to admit that my two top picks did not make the cut but I was comfortable taking a pick among the 6 that did. I really liked the misty lake one by Emma 2.

Given the skill mix we have and the mix of equipment, we almost need a pro /w good gear and an non-pro /w usable gear category but there are no where enough entries to support that.

I think overall I would have to go along with keeping it like it is.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

my heart sank when I read this post,I have checked up and its been a year since I last entered this competition ,this has been due to all the flack I got for not posting my reasons after my last attempt at judging ,I have been lucky enough to win three times and for me the worst bit was the comments after I had chosen my favourites.I love taking photographs and have learnt a lot from everyone here,but I am not able to say technical reasons as to why I picked a picture other than I liked it.

You have all encouraged me and for this I'm grateful.

Judith

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)